New to Kayak Fishing.

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
calebo4
kayak: Escape 12

New to Kayak Fishing.

Post by calebo4 »

Hey all,

Recently purchased a kayak, an Escape 12, just looking for some tips on fishing in a kayak. Been fishing for years in a boat.

Looking at taking the kayak out for a test run on Saturday wind permitting.

Looking for:
- Seat arrangments (How should my seat be, just a rough idea on seating position.)
- Rigging/mod tips, how are your kayaks modded out?

any other tips you can think of for a newbie to kayak fishing?

Cheers,
Caleb
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Re: New to Kayak Fishing.

Post by isportfish »

Gday caleb,
Welcome aboard. Suggest to have a good read of the safety section posts and posts on kayak rigging.

Suggest u choose another day for your first trip if venturing out on the bays. Wind conditions not likely to be suitable.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/portphillip.shtml
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: New to Kayak Fishing.

Post by cheaterparts »

calebo4 wrote: just looking for some tips on fishing in a kayak. Been fishing for years in a boat.

Looking at taking the kayak out for a test run on Saturday wind permitting.

Looking for:
- Seat arrangments (How should my seat be, just a rough idea on seating position.)
- Rigging/mod tips, how are your kayaks modded out?

any other tips you can think of for a newbie to kayak fishing?

Cheers,
Caleb
First as you have been fishing from a boat you should be able to read the weather - wind is the biggest problem you will have with your kayak being powered by you and not a motor is quite taxing - so pick you winds and tides to suit where you are going ( also as you start your kayaking keep to days well under 10 knot and build up from there )

seat position how about try it in the most comfortable position - if you haven't done any paddling it would be worth getting some pointers on a paddle stroke
most of us were fisherman first and kayakers second - learning the basics when it comes to paddling will make it easier

as far as rigging goes there is no real right or wrong ways - it depends on your fishing and how you wish to target your species

however first thing would be an anchor trolley and anchor - from there rod holders , these have to be out of the way of your paddle stroke and close enough to use in the seated position and just like a boat you may not sit on the tide well with wind against tide so you may need options on how to space them

make sure you can get back on your kayak in deep water in case you take an unplaned dip - there are quite a few of us ( me included ) that have done the unintentional swim off the side of the kayak - Knowing how to right the kayak and get back on is better practiced before that event
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657