Decisions Decisions

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Metime
Apprentice
kayak: Kings Kraft Peddle kayak -Malibu Mini X

Decisions Decisions

Post by Metime »

Hi,
I have just recently bought a new peddle kayak(king craft) and will be keeping the Malibu Mini X for now.
- Firstly can't decide weather to buy another fish finder or to relocate the existing Lowrance elite 4x HDI to the new kayak.
- If relocate unit, need to content with filling holes
- Buy separate holder and use existing unit and traducer (hang over side)

- Secondly, to buy another fish finder. BCF have a Lowrance hook2 4x for $129 and Hook2 4x GPS for $159.
- Lastly, if the decision is to buy another unit, which model is more apt for the new kayak? Got a BCF voucher for Xmas! Minimum outlay required.

Your comments and advice appreciated. Thanks
MrTall
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: mini-x, revo, oasis

Re: Decisions Decisions

Post by MrTall »

Garmin Striker 4
I have one on the revo 14.
Nice clear picture, plotter thrown in for same price approx as a hook4x
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Do you think you will still use the old yak? often it just doesn't happen. redundant holes can just be plugged with self tapper screws
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Consider buying a transducer, power cable and mount for the head unit.
Then you could simply swap the Lowrance elite 4x HDI head unit and battery between yaks.

How did you mount the head unit to your Malibu Mini-X ?
I purchased a RAM ball mount for my outback so didn't use the original mount that came with my Lowrance elite combo.
Send me a PM if you want my original mount.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I haven't used my old yak since buying the new one but my kids use it, when i buy a hobie i will keep the 4m one and get rid of the 2.7 if i had a sounder on either i would just transfer it unless i was thinking of an upgrade.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Metime
Apprentice

Post by Metime »

Hi,
Interesting ideas and views. Peatop& Laneends, To be honest I don't really know for sure if I will used it. initial thought is that to use it in in small lakes or rivers. Nice to have the option. On the Malibu Mini X, I've mounted it on the centre console using the original mount and shoot through method. With Jacko's suggestion, its a high possibility in that I can obtain a second mount (from Jacko Em sent) and remove the existing transducer and use a flexible arm instead of shoot thru'. Need to research more on the flexible arm or any method of hanging the transducer over the side. This will allow the use of the same unit on both kayak. Any weakness with this methodology? Jacko, do you have a photo of how you mount your fish finder using the RAM ball mount? I am interested in how the F/finder is mounted. Thanks again.
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

Hi Chris,
I am having troubles uploading photos of my old Lowrance X50DS head mounted on my old outback using the RAM diamond ball
Part# RAM-B-238U. and RAM Double Socket Arm for B Size 1" Balls Part# RAM-B-201U.
Wiring from the battery & transducer come through the gunnel using a Hobie through hull gland just in front of the RAM diamond ball

I have upgraded to a Lowrance Elite 4 chirp combo and glued the new transducer in as a through hull.

To mount the upgrade I purchased a RAM Lowrance Quick Adaptor Small - Part# RAM-B-202U-LO11
https://slhobie.com.au/gear/mounts/ram- ... nder-mount

This adaptor allowed me to utilise the existing RAM diamond ball and RAM double socket and the same cables through the hull.

Looking at the prices of a transducer compared to a complete unit it doesn't make sense for you to buy just a transducer - You may as well buy a complete new fish finder.

But if you don't want to spend the money on a new sounder and want to remove the existing transducer and use a flexible arm instead of shoot thru for your fit out SLHobie in Mornington also have a flexible transducer arm mount.
https://slhobie.com.au/gear/mounts/ram- ... -arm-mount

I am pretty sure my Elite 4 Chirp combo came with the same base mount as your Elite 4X HDI.

Hope this helps.

Rob.
Metime
Apprentice

Post by Metime »

Hi,
Thanks for all comments ideas. Need to take the new kayak (peddle) out to see where I can locate the fish finder. Did some research on the flexible arm & fittings....... better to to buy a new setup like Jacko said. Had the kayak for 4 months & still hasn't taken it out as yet! Slack as!.
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

If you don't want to buy another sounder or transducer, an option could be to make your through hull transducer removable so you can swap it between yaks by using a "wet mount well" or "gel mount" for the transducer inside the hull similar to these youtube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDTkfhE_7RY
or this link.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23975
Last edited by Jacko on 12 Jan 2018, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Metime
Apprentice

Post by Metime »

Thanks Jacko. will put this into consideration.