Buying from Amazon.com

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Buying from Amazon.com

Post by peatop »

A couple of questions about buying from Amazon.com, in aus a garmin striker plus 4cv is 329 on Amazon.com it's 179 is this 179 usd or 179 aud? Next is this the same unit as sold in aus? Incase being logged in makes a difference, i was logged in for that price.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Re: Buying from Amazon.com

Post by chrisw »

peatop wrote:A couple of questions about buying from Amazon.com, in aus a garmin striker plus 4cv is 329 on Amazon.com it's 179 is this 179 usd or 179 aud? Next is this the same unit as sold in aus? Incase being logged in makes a difference, i was logged in for that price.
Price could be either, but unless it says it's AUD you should assume USD (they have a currency converter but it may or may not be enabled for your login).

If you're still unsure, add it to your cart then view the cart, it should say the currency there, if it's not specified as AUD it will be USD.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Also watch who you are buying it from as Amazon don't stock everything, in a lot of cases they take your money and drop ship from another supplier some of whom I have never heard of.
I found this out when looking for a high ticket item and it left me wondering about warranty.
It could be OK but when spending a few hundred I like the idea of taking it back to where I bought it rather than find out that ABC Pty Ltd is someones garage in outback NSW.
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Probably:
Amazon.com = US$
Amazon.com.au = A$

As mentioned above, Amazon is an outlet used by many companies. At the moment, think of Aussie Amazon, as being a lot like eBay without 2nd hand goods. There are many different sellers each sharing the same advertising method, payment system and Amazon agreements (that make transactions relatively safe) but there wouldn't be much relationship beyond that.

AFAIK, as the sellers are located anywhere in the world, goods will be shipped from anywhere in the world.

Before you decide, think about the convenience of following up on warranty if something goes wrong. That fancy electronic gadget may become a real PITA if there is persistent problem. Coming from overseas, you will not get the same Aussie consumer law protection. Good companies do like to protect their reputation (I imagine, that includes Garmin). Depending whether it is an import, you may (or may not) find it difficult to obtain Garmin warranty coverage locally. For example, my local tackle shop told me a story about a person who bought a game reel into him for warranty claim. He checked the serial and found out it was an overseas purchase. The Aussie importer/dealer (I won't say who) refused to honour the warranty in Australia, referring him back to the seller. The Aussie dealer was totally independent of the overseas dealer. The only thing they had in common was they sold reels made by the same manufacturer. There was no agreement between dealers or with the manufacturer about meeting costs associated with warranty repair/replacement. You can't blame the local importer for not backing a warranty that is someone else's responsibility. "Buyer beware" applied. They guy ended up paying something like $80 for parts on a reel he could have bought in the local shop for about $50 more than he paid.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

peatop wrote:A couple of questions about buying from Amazon.com, in aus a garmin striker plus 4cv is 329 on Amazon.com it's 179 is this 179 usd or 179 aud? Next is this the same unit as sold in aus? Incase being logged in makes a difference, i was logged in for that price.
Make sure it is the ‘plus’ version that writes maps as you fish, the older striker 4cv would be discontinued and would be on run-out now which could explain the price difference.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yes to everything, the main reason i asked was really, why do we pay more for a product in aus than any other country, even with the exchange rate and shipping.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

peatop wrote:Yes to everything, the main reason i asked was really, why do we pay more for a product in aus than any other country, even with the exchange rate and shipping.
Because they can. Some local importers like to screw us over just because. However this doesn't appear to be one of those cases.

Seriously, though, don't forget GST. Amazon US doesn't currently charge GST and for imports < $1000 you won't be levied it by customs. Local sellers have to collect it though.

That ASIN (B076W2N5TH), when using the Amazon currency converter, is AUD$239.62 plus $31.26 S&H, giving a total of AUD$270.88.

If amazon US levied GST for Australian orders (which they will in the next 12 months I believe) you'd be paying just short of $300, which isn't a lot different from the local price. While it's true the local seller would have the advantage of paying for a bulk shipment rather than 1-off it's still not a huge difference given they have the additional overhead of complying with Australian consumer law (in the US consumer protection is generally fairly lax).
djillusions24
Apprentice
kayak: JetOcean

Post by djillusions24 »

Make sure you tick 'ships to Australia' on Amazon too (its down the left side of the page) - you will often find places on there with awesome prices that don't ship here, you can get it done via a ship to service if you really want. You can also set the currency in your profile so it shows prices in native currency regardless of where the item is.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Im not likely to buy from amazon it goes againt my grain.