Do you remove pro angler seat scuppers plugs?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Do you remove pro angler seat scuppers plugs?

Post by Tim399 »

Thaught this was a bit of a newbie question.
Do you remover the seat scupper plugs in your pro angler? Mine is a 2012 if that makes a difference at all.
In my terrapin I would remove them if expecting to take on water, and leave them in if I was fishing flat water. This was because the seat was flat on the hull. But with the pro angler seat being raised on the frame, I’m not sure whether I should leave the scupper plugs in or remove them? I’m slim build and not tall so the kayak sits high on the water. I only store my bilge pump, fish donger (bat, keep it clean), anchor and sometimes net in the well around the seat so them getting wet is no issue.

What do you do and why?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Do you remove pro angler seat scuppers plugs?

Post by shane »

Take them out and throw them away. You don't need them in a PA.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

This is an interesting question, although mine is not a PA if i take on water which would be 90%of the time it seems to gather under the seat, quite annoying tbh, i often remove the plugs from infront of my foot pegs as when i lean forward to retrieve anything out of my centre hatch it drains the water, i always forget to remove them from under the seat when at home (always tired when i get home i guess). I dont mind a bit of water in my kayak it helps to keep it clean, the bilge pump comes in handy not only not only to remove water ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Yesterday is the first time I ever put them in. Hasn't bothered me in the past leaving them out.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

chrisw wrote:Yesterday is the first time I ever put them in. Hasn't bothered me in the past leaving them out.
Ok i have to ask why did you put them in?
If i keep all my scuppers in, in my cab i could use it as a live tank :yahoo:
Edit edit edit hmmm if i remember rite the PA could hold a marlin for a week in the cab it's that roomy ;) damn im bad.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

peatop wrote:Ok i have to ask why did you put them in?
First time out in open water and i thought "might as well", less for drainage as I wasn't sure if the swell got up if water would splash up through the scupper holes, and I like to keep things under the seat. Drainage isn't an issue with the PA as the drive well provides plenty of flow (in either direction).
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

I’ll leave them out then by what you guys are saying there’s not a lot of point in having them in. Tha ks
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

What about a revo. Please tell me I have not been sitting in a puddle of water for no reason for the last 10 years
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

chrisw wrote:
peatop wrote:Ok i have to ask why did you put them in?
First time out in open water and i thought "might as well", less for drainage as I wasn't sure if the swell got up if water would splash up through the scupper holes, and I like to keep things under the seat. Drainage isn't an issue with the PA as the drive well provides plenty of flow (in either direction).
Lol thats like me with the 2 scupper holes up front in a fast swell it does keep a steady flow of water front to back, on Saturday i had quite a few open as i took more rods than usual and i have rod holders that i use in them once out i took em out and set in holders, i did some swapping and then got some plugs outa my box and plugged some more, i always keep atleast one outa my rear storage as that tends to get a mouthfull from rear swell/waves, that can be handy to clean my towel when it gets slimey, im at a cross roads somewhat as to leave plugs in, only when it's glass i dont get water in my tub, if it's rolling and water come over the top it doesn't matter, if im out and it turns ruff and I've been cought a few times (un predicted weather ) first thing i do b4 kissing my ass good bye lol only joking, i pull front and middle plugs
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Fish Grylls wrote:What about a revo. Please tell me I have not been sitting in a puddle of water for no reason for the last 10 years
Ha ha, no in the yaks without framed seat there is no escape, you have to grin and bear it, well thats what it was like in my el cheapo, im starting to wonder about the welding process of plastic, there is no reason you couldn't make a suitable seat carrier to fit a framed seat into any of the older yaks to compensate for hight, however the welding process worries me, would you achieve the required penatration to make it strong enough as this area would be under max stress.