Do you remove pro angler seat scuppers plugs?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Re: Do you remove pro angler seat scuppers plugs?

Post by Steve_R »

Fish Grylls wrote:What about a revo. Please tell me I have not been sitting in a puddle of water for no reason for the last 10 years
My old tinny holed once sitting on the trailer. On launch I noticed nothing but once it sped up, the pressure that causes a boat to plane as speed increased caused a fountain. Forces act much the same in a kayak. As you gain speed, water places more force on the hull. In flat water, leave your plugs in. In waves that come over the coaming, you get a wet seat. Leave the plugs out so it will drain.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Fish Grylls wrote:What about a revo. Please tell me I have not been sitting in a puddle of water for no reason for the last 10 years
My old tinny holed once sitting on the trailer. On launch I noticed nothing but once it sped up, the pressure that causes a boat to plane as speed increased caused a fountain. Forces act much the same in a kayak. As you gain speed, water places more force on the hull. unplugged scuppers provide a release path for the pressure. In flat water, leave your plugs in. In waves that come over the coaming, you get a wet seat. Leave the plugs out so it will drain.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

peatop wrote:
Ha ha, no in the yaks without framed seat there is no escape, you have to grin and bear it, well thats what it was like in my el cheapo, im starting to wonder about the welding process of plastic, there is no reason you couldn't make a suitable seat carrier to fit a framed seat into any of the older yaks to compensate for hight, however the welding process worries me, would you achieve the required penatration to make it strong enough as this area would be under max stress.
I've been considering mounting a vantage seat in my older outback.
You probably could get a plastic welder (yakdoc aka ghurken)) to weld in some sort of replacement deeper flatter floor and inside gunnels.
If done properly plastic welds would be as strong as the original plastic mould.
Problem is the width of the seat needs to be narrower than the vantage seat to fit between the gunnels.
Other framed seats are also similar width and don't fit.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I think anything is possible, we are just limited by our imagination and in some cases technology, being from the engineering sector problems always surfaced and it was our job to solve any issues that arrived that put a hold on any project, if the welding process is adequate then there is no reason why an aftermarket seat cant be adequately fitted, the issue is the seat hight after fitting, to fit an aftermarket seat the mounting area must be lowered, depending on the position of the scupper holes this in my mind could be easy, however not having a yak in front of me, i don't know if there is any other obstruction
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm