First fishing Kayak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Andjo84
kayak: Not yet

First fishing Kayak

Post by Andjo84 »

Hi everyone, new to this

Was just wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion into buying a new fishing kayak for mainly fishing around the port Phillip bay area’s.

I have around $500-$700 to spend for a complete kit so not mega bucks.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated

I have been looking into the Ranger from Aquayak?

Thanks
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Re: First fishing Kayak

Post by time2fish »

hey mate. i am selling my first kayak and it was perfect to learn on and comes with everything and in your price range here is the link cheers. any questions pm me
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24221
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

time2fish wrote:hey mate. i am selling my first kayak and it was perfect to learn on and comes with everything and in your price range here is the link cheers. any questions pm me
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24221

Good looking vessel
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Aquayak ranger is a nice kayak. However for your price range once you start to include things like lights, anchor, maybe a fish finder you will not get near that range. the kayak itself is $900. My friend has the smaller version of the ranger and for it's size was a great yak.

In my opinion there are 2 types of buyers;
- Buy new and you get enjoyment in customising your yak just the way you like it. Lots of people get enjoyment from this process. But you need the budget to do this as well.
OR
- Let someone else put all the time and effort in and you buy the yak 2nd hand for a much reduced price and usually comes with a lot of added labour and accessories already done.

I choose option 2.

These always some great deals going around.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Its a trap..your budget for now..Dont kid yourself it will stop there. Yak fishing is like a tube of pringles..

Either of two things happen when you buy a new budget kayak
1. you love the idea but soon realize you need a bigger one, so you have to reinvest again and loose $$ on your first one and all the gear you bought for it
2. Its all too hard/dangerous because your kayak is not up to it, or you are just not that in to it, so you give up and kayak takes space up in the garage/backyard

This is a good reason to go for a secondhand one with at least a basic fish ready set up. That way you dont loose $$ when either of the above happens. Few people have a pile of cash to put down on something they may, or may not like, and make the right choice up front. It evolves.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Both the last 2 posts are good advice, being new to kayaking i bought a cheap smaller one only to find I LOVE kayak fishing, however after a few months found there are issues witk my first one, mainly being to small in length an very little storage in inconvenient locations, in saying that it was and is a great beginner kayak.
Now that i know i can and want to kayak fish i just purchased a much better suited kayak and plan to save up for the ducks nuts of kayaks for next season (hobie).
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Hi Andy, It's great that you got onto this forum after our chat the other night. The guys on the forum have an incredible combined knowledge of kayak fishing, and there is a huge amount of information on this site for someone new to the fishing side of kayaking. You are certainly very welcome to borrow my Aquayak Ranger whenever you want over the next few weeks (I'd happily sell it to you if I didn't still need it), but also keep an eye on this forum, as there are kayaks regularly coming up for sale. Looking forward to getting out gummy fishing with you in the next week or so. Best wishes, Paul
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Does the yak have to be new? If you've got a half reasonable eye for detail, then buying secondhand will save you a lot of money. Just keep an eye out for a lot of deep scratches on the bottom of secondhand yaks (being dragged rather carted from spot to spot), discolouration if mono coloured (been left out in the sun rather than stored under cover), cracks and holes (obvious).

Just remember you will need the following to fish efficiently in PPB:

1. Sounder $120 min
2. Anchor (rope/chain) $30
3. Drogue/sea anchor $30
4. Life Jackets $50

Most other things can be purchased/obtained to make life more comfortable eg dry pants/designated rod holders in position/kayak trolley cart.

My friend has the scout, which I personally think is a little short to fish comfortably in the bay. The ranger would certainly give you a more comfortable ride.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

IMO there is no reason to buy a brand new yak. You'll be able to get a much better, safer kayak for the same money if you go second hand and chances are it'll have more accessories than you can possibly fit into your budget.

If a second hand kayak isn't set up exactly the way you'd prefer at least you have something decent to fish out of while you gradually modify it more to your preferences.
Andjo84
kayak: Not yet

Post by Andjo84 »

thanks for your replies

I doesn't have to be new, id rather a better quality second hand kayak in that was possible

Any suggestions for the make?

I would like around a 3m vessel

Thanks for your help

Andy