First fishing Kayak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: First fishing Kayak

Post by vicyak »

3m is a bit short. Don't go under 3.7m (12ft). Anything smaller than this is not really suited to the bay. there is a Cobra Fish N Dive for $700 on gumtree. 3.8m and has just a couple of accesories. Would be a nice steady platform I reckon.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Andjo84 wrote:I would like around a 3m vessel
Andjo84 wrote:mainly fishing around the port Phillip bay area’s.
These statements don't belong together. The open waters of the bays are not somewhere you want to spend time in a 3m yak. They don't handle well especially in chop, have limited capacity, are very inefficient to paddle and can be extremely unsafe when it blows up. You should be looking at at least 3.6m and preferably closer to 4m for handling open water. A few that have been mentioned including the Kingfisher, Quest etc will come up secondhand in your price range.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Andjo84 wrote:I would like around a 3m vessel
Andjo84 wrote:mainly fishing around the port Phillip bay area’s.
shane wrote: These statements don't belong together.

You should be looking at at least 3.6m and preferably closer to 4m for handling open water. A few that have been mentioned including the Kingfisher, Quest etc will come up secondhand in your price range.
as above ---

another craft worth a look is the Scorpio Terminator 14 - this is the kayak that Winchbitch uses atm it is quite quick on the water - handles bad weather quite well and has a bit of storage for gear - these are only a bit over your budget atm but are very good value for the money , I would ditch the silly high chair though and fit a normal kayak seat

https://www.kayaksonline.net/kayaks/sco ... pro-angler
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I am/was a altra keen fisherman(with a rod in my hand and water infront try dragging me away) first kayak was el cheapo 9 footer, while it was a test unit it was not suitable for open water like ppb since buying a new 4m with a framed seat im in heaven, the difference in the cheap seat has made it possible for me to stay out longer and after coming in i dont have a sore arse or more importantly back, when i went to slh i looked at the quest 13, older model which was the same price as the maverick however the seat wasn't framed this was the only deciding factor in getting the maverick over the hobie, my point is think about your situation before buying ;) if your going to be serious about fishing ppb or similar buy a 13 (4m) foot plus kayak.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Andjo84
kayak: Not yet

Post by Andjo84 »

Thanks for all your replies,

I went to look at the a Scorpio Terminator 12 today,

What are people’s views on this vessel and would you recommend getting the 14 over the 12?

Thanks
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Andjo84 wrote:Thanks for all your replies,

I went to look at the a Scorpio Terminator 12 today,

What are people’s views on this vessel and would you recommend getting the 14 over the 12?

Thanks
Good question ! I haven't seen the T 12 in the flesh some others may have - I do know how the T14 performs as I fish a lot with Winchbitch who owns one and that for a cheaper kayak performs really well and in all conditions of cause this is not using the silly tube high chair
I really don't know why anyone would move there centre of gravity any higher than necessary it is a great way to become less stable
most kayaks using these high chairs are made fat or come with training wheels like the AI to help keep them upright

the 12 though is as short as you would wont to go as a bay boat and it may be fine myself I would go for the longer unit for the extra speed ( this is also a sign of easier paddling )
something else to consider is paddles - it is really worth looking at a good quality paddle and these do cost a bit more but the difference of lighter stiffer blades is huge if you need to cover distance or beat into a wind
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The 12 is scorpio's rebadge terrapin xl) andi s a version of the commonly found longer chinese yaks found in chain stores and ebay. The 14 is cheaper version of the prowler. Where as the 14 will be sleek the 12 will be more barge like. Both safe and do the job, the 14 will just be easier and more pleasant to paddle.

Tim399 has the older terrapin xl, and can probably help you with opinions on that one
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

All pretty much the same, quality-wise (ie: good).

Ebay is a common place to pick them up, but Anaconda have a nice-looking model for around the same price.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292323309120

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253250142435

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253219120573
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

I kept saving and bought a 2nd hand Hobie Outback off ebay for $1600.
It was hard having to wait a bit longer (especially at this time of year) but i reckon it was the best thing.
Getting on the water that first time with hands free for fishing was brilliant