Upgrading to bigger yak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Upgrading to bigger yak

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote: What size drift chute would suit a 13 footer?
i use the hobie one, dont need such a huge one or it will just be a pain. i attach a rope from front to back, which makes retreiving it easier. i dont use an extension rope as that makes it harder if you have to run lines around it and its more stuff to tangle onboard
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

peatop wrote:Not sure it was very windy when i took it out for a test and didn't take the anchor so i was to busy paddling to try, but the kayak is very stable so it should be a good tankwell, the rear one accesses the hull, would have been nice to have more access to the hull for bolting and plating but where there's a will there's a way ;)
What size drift chute would suit a 13 footer?
Hi Peter, another very cheap but effective option for a drift chute is the big green garden tidy up bags that they sell at Bunnings. They're made of heavy woven plastic and have a springy plastic strip around the opening. I use a large one (about 70cm Dia.) in stronger winds, and a smaller one (about 50cm Dia.) for lighter wings. Just pull them in to the side of the yak, and roll them up. Cost around $10 each a couple of years ago.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Sounds good paul, had a look at bunnings on the net they look ok will drop in there on shopping day. If not the real ones aren't that more anyway.
looking at hobie kayaks and what you guys are using, the revo 13 and there is the 16, outback 12 and the pa 12 and 14.
Given that im most likely going to buy a secondhand one it will be one of the 3 types however i would like to know why a lot of you guys have the revo over the outback or pa?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
outback paul
Square eyes

Post by outback paul »

Hi Peter, I had to make that exact same decision a couple of years ago. Outback or Revo? (I did a test paddle of both) The Outback is certainly more roomy which is a big plus once you get to where you are fishing, but for me what made the decision is that the Revo cuts through a choppy sea far more efficiently than the Outback, and is also more stable (from what I've heard) in rough conditions. So if you are planning to cover a lot of distance I would certainly recommend the Revo, if however you are planning shorter trips i.e. Altona, Ricketts, Mornington, etc. then the Outback would suit. One other big advantage with the Revo is how much easier it is to paddle (rather than pedal), if you need a rest, or just enjoy a bit of an upper body workout. One of the most interesting comments I heard from a Hobie member of staff is that a number of people switch from Outback to Revo, but not from Revo to Outback. If you get the chance, see if you can grab one of each for a test paddle either from a Vyak member or SLH in Mornington.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Interesting, i thought it would be the fact that the revo cuts the water better, i certainly will do a test drive. I just thought i would ask the question ;) might arrange a test drive mid summer as i imagine i will be testing their tip points lol.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
outback paul
Square eyes

Post by outback paul »

No problem mate. I forgot to suggest that if you wanted to compare Revo with PA then Westy would be a good person to speak to, having recently switched from a PA to a Revo 13.
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

re: sea anchor

I thought about making one myself. then just decided to buy one and stop mucking around.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/anchor-sea-fish-s

For $12.95 might as well get something built for it.
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

ecoronad wrote:re: sea anchor

I thought about making one myself. then just decided to buy one and stop mucking around.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/anchor-sea-fish-s

For $12.95 might as well get something built for it.
Pretty sure that's the one I have and it's plenty big enough for my 13ft yak. As Keith said, run some rope from front to back and don't forgot a float.
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

peatop wrote:Given that im most likely going to buy a secondhand one it will be one of the 3 types however i would like to know why a lot of you guys have the revo over the outback or pa?
Versatility. Can use one boat to cover most types of water.

peatop wrote:Interesting, i thought it would be the fact that the revo cuts the water better, i certainly will do a test drive. I just thought i would ask the question ;) might arrange a test drive mid summer as i imagine i will be testing their tip points lol.
Yes when sloppy revo hull goes through the chop more than the other mentioned hulls. Suggest to do a demo when there is some chop and see for yourself.
Can use any boat in ideal conditions and any can be dangerous in rough waters depending on user and conditions. When conditions becomes choppy revo is the hull I choose to be in. If you carry heaps of gear and want on deck storage consider the others.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

A lot of people complain of "hull slap" with the outback. keep in mind the outback is a shorter kayak, and so will "bob up and down more when choppy.