Upgrading to bigger yak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Upgrading to bigger yak

Post by peatop »

Hi guys,
I have been looking at upgrading to a more suitable kayak, my main issue is getting the best value for my money as it's always limited these days, been looking at some hobbie quest 11's, RTM K-largo 14 and tarpon 120(new).
The K-largo comes with lots of extras for around 800
K-largo.JPG
The quests 800 and with rudder 1k
Hobbie quest 11 rudder.JPG
$_20.JPG
Any feedback on these would be a major help.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Upgrading to bigger yak

Post by laneends »

I have a quest 11 with rudder and thats a good price,but its still too small for a main kayak for the bays and open water. Handles most moderate conditions well. No tracking issues when fitted with rudder even in strong wind. Would need to do something silly to tip it. But if weather goes seriously pear shaped and it get very bumpy you want something longer for safety sake as short kayaks squirrel all over the place and bury their nose in the troughs.

K largo is an old model. I think it is a reputable model but maybe on the bulky side? Any models with those big front hatches, including malibus pose a potential leak problem if its open to the hull. Not sure if this model is.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

Save as long as you can, and watch gumtree and ebay like a hawk. I saw an outback (older model) on Gumtree a few weeks back for $1300.

Not ideal I know but if you buy once, buy right, you'll save yourself money and potentially your life in the long run
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

Hi mate, I came across these not so long ago. Look up slh Maverick 13 look alright if you ask me!
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Thanks guys the replies help bigtime, had quite a long chat today with munroe, he basically said the same, i have also been looking at the maverick 13 although i couldn't find any reviews, yes it looks like a nice yak but im no expert, far from it lol, i like the seat setup and the general overall setup. Would some of you more experienced people like to comment on what your thoughts are regarding it? Anything said would be much appreciated. Oh and i wont hold it against anyone if i buy what you recommend and it sinks lol
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

peatop wrote:Would some of you more experienced people like to comment on what your thoughts are regarding it?
It looks like a well laid out all round paddle yak, although I haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

This is what Josh had to say about the range recently (he works at SLH):
Yakass wrote: Scott recently went on a 'pilgrimage' to china to numerous factories and trade shows and hew was looking out for well made kayaks that were good for the money. He found some good ones, but he was pretty picky about it because he also found a whole lot more rubbish. We had a lot of fun laughing at some of the catalogs and website addresses he returned with.
Scott knows his kayaks so if these are the result of him sorting through Chinese manufacturers then they should be a lot better than most of the other Chinese (and elsewhere) made yaks on the local market.
0408 565 763
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Thanks shane,
I remember reading that but at the time did not know what it referred to.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Me again lol
As said the maverick looks like a good kayak suited to my budget
lovig-ST13.jpg
However i came across this outback,
$_20.PNG
this morning and are wondering your thoughts as to the better deal?
Thank for your comments.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The maverick looks decent, though I think those rod holders that far forward would be a struggle to use.

Older outbacks will depend on age and condition, you have the wear and tear on the drive to consider.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

peatop wrote:As said the maverick looks like a good kayak suited to my budget
and I know how they named that yak LoL....

Could be another second hand fully sick Outback about to come on the market. :evilgrin:
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.