Upgrading to bigger yak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Upgrading to bigger yak

Post by peatop »

The outback is 2014 the guy says it's in perfect condition $1350
That's very cheap. And yes mav I thought the name might have come from somewhere ;-)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

maverick wrote:
peatop wrote:As said the maverick looks like a good kayak suited to my budget
and I know how they named that yak LoL....

Could be another second hand fully sick Outback about to come on the market. :evilgrin:

Boat :evilgrin:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Compared to my other yak it's a boat for sure lol. So i went to SLH yesterday had a look at all the hobies drooled a lot but bought the maverick with the thought of saving for a hobie next season. The 3 rod holders are only useful for holding rods pretty much useless, after a 3 day walk from the seat the fish would be gone ;) however i have heaps of ideas for better placed rod holders and other attachments, took it out at mornington just for a test drive it rides well, big difference from my other one.
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

peatop wrote:Compared to my other yak it's a boat for sure lol. So i went to SLH yesterday had a look at all the hobies drooled a lot but bought the maverick with the thought of saving for a hobie next season. The 3 rod holders are only useful for holding rods pretty much useless, after a 3 day walk from the seat the fish would be gone ;) however i have heaps of ideas for better placed rod holders and other attachments, took it out at mornington just for a test drive it rides well, big difference from my other one.
Job done :thumbsup:

Will be interesting to see how you rig it. A possible suggestion. Replace the two outer rod holders with berkley quick sets, which work well when placed far forward, and use the centre spot for mounting fish finder, on an extension if you want to bring it closer.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yah it has rails either side just infront of the seat thought about mounting one there maybe, those rod holders are really far forward you literally have to leave the seat to reach them, lots to think about, don't want snag points or anything in the paddle area, i glued some foam to my 32mm hd light pole to seal it in the scupper hole for old kayak now it fits better in new scuppers so im thinking there is some room for attachments there to. There is also a good location to maybe add a couple of flush mount railblaza fittings. I Really need to get out in it a few times to get brain thinking about best locations for everything, i do want a bait board, and fishfinder is next on the list then the 300hp outboard ;) lol.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

A bit of experimental play this morning and moved the rod holders closer to the seat although the brakets i made aren't stainless the bolts are (no stainless in my shed :oops: )however next trip shopping should fix that, so now they are adjustable with wing nuts holding them in place.
adjustable rod holders.JPG
why Berkley quick set? And also best fittings scotty or railblaza?
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Located that close is that going to get in the way of your legs getting in and out?

berkleys are good for when holder position is far forward as you dont have to lift them out of front of holder, just as long as end of butt is within reach you can lift them straight up and out. Disadvantage is you cant lock rods in holder.

Its always a compromise between far enough forward not to hinder paddle stroke, especially when you are digging in hard, and being reachable
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Yah i put them in that position as my tiedowns are in the way, they adjust/slide all the way back to almost the original position, ok i get the berkely quick set, only long shank rod so far is my new 6kg but i will keep them in mind when i get another one.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

How accessible is that front hatch on the water, and does it open into the hull or just covering a forward 'tankwell'?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Not sure it was very windy when i took it out for a test and didn't take the anchor so i was to busy paddling to try, but the kayak is very stable so it should be a good tankwell, the rear one accesses the hull, would have been nice to have more access to the hull for bolting and plating but where there's a will there's a way ;)
What size drift chute would suit a 13 footer?