Which hole saw is best....

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Which hole saw is best....

Post by Tim399 »

laneends wrote:Hole saw and if you are nervous about fit then do a trial run in some scrap mdf/ply or similar. Hole saw will also give you a bit of scrap plastic to fill in any unwanted screw holes down the track. Make sure there is NOTHING you dont want cut underneath. Dont apply too much pressure so it doesn't plunge right in when it gets through
This put an image in my head of going through and through with a slap to the forehead :lol:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote:Hole saw will also give you a bit of scrap plastic to fill in any unwanted screw holes down the track.
x2. I used the little disk left over from the hole to weld up a crack and strengthen the area on my AI recently.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Tim399 wrote:
laneends wrote:Hole saw and if you are nervous about fit then do a trial run in some scrap mdf/ply or similar. Hole saw will also give you a bit of scrap plastic to fill in any unwanted screw holes down the track. Make sure there is NOTHING you dont want cut underneath. Dont apply too much pressure so it doesn't plunge right in when it gets through
This put an image in my head of going through and through with a slap to the forehead :lol:
If its where I think it is, picturing cutting through rudder lines and pulley
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Thanks for all the tips keith - re: rudder cables and keeping the plugs! As always, ever so helpful.

Trent, I know I have. I popped to Bunnings to pick up a 35mm hole saw, but annoyingly the only 35mm ones wouldnt fit the arbor I have with the basic kit they sell. So to avoid having to buy another arbor and then the hole saw, I decided to test out my 32mm holesaw on a bit of plastic chopping board that I have lying around for another project :-) (making extensions for my berkley QS holders)

So the 32mm hole saw and a few mins filing produced a real nice snug fit which is perfect! Next task is to progress to the real deal and move onto the kayak.

The plan is to also use the plastic chopping board on the inside of the kayak to really help distribute any load. excessive overkill I know, but hey ho!

I will probably progress this with pics into my "beast forum" thread I started a while back.

Nath
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Keep in mind if it is just in front of the mesh pockets it is narrow so take care keeping it centered as you dont have a lot of margin to get the bolts on the end of the nuts. Well it was tight with the 16, I am guessing the 13 is the same. This may make putting a backing board on difficult. Especially with a recessed fitting, where it probably less useful anyway
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Just a note on holesaws, there are 2 types, crap and good. There used to be 2 arbors one for small holes (no pins) one for large holes (2 pins) when attaching saw to arbor, wind it up to lock then back it off to locate pins, the saws come in many cutting types, l personally always get bi-metal they are a bit more exspencive but you can cut through some fairly thick mild steel with them and they last forever on softer materials, when using holesaws let the saw do the cutting no pressure required or wanted, always drill a pilot hole l use a 2.5mm for pilot keep your arbor bit sharp, coolant is important, 1. You dont want to overheat the saw. 2. You dont want to overheat you work, on softer materials just use water on metals use from coolant solution to straight oil. Like coolant solution on alimimium and oil on ms/ss. Speed of cut is slow as slow as you can so it doesn't bind but just cuts.
Not trying to be a smartass or anything just leasons learnt for myself, you can go out and spend $1000 on cheaps tools and they will do the job, however they will not last a $1000 on good quality tools and they last a lifetime when looked after, when l was younger l bought all the cheap stuff pfft learnt fast from them letting me down always in the middle of that important job, I've been buying good quality ever since, now l have tools that are 30+ years old and are like new.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Thanks Peter. I am not a stranger to DIY and knocking things up, but more than appreciate your tips and hints. Always good to be reminded of best practice and there'll always be that gem of a tip that will make things easier
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Tips and hints are always good, sometimes they are just a reminder, sometimes they are new to us, l have found invaluable information on here thats saved me heaps of $$$$$. I think most of us here are used to DIY if not soon will be lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm