first time yak help

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: first time yak help

Post by Tim399 »

Congrats on the kayak purchase jack. I have seen them in person and I do like the prowlers. I haven't done any re entries in my new (to me) kayak so when your planning on re entry practice post up in the fishing trip areas and if I'm free I can join you for a fish too :up:
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

Hey Jack welcome aboard. Great choice of yak. The advice already given above is from the most knowledgeable and experienced kayakers here.

All I can add is choice of snowboard clothing may need some re thinking. Is it designed for immersion and could you swim in it in deep water?. If you are going to have a practice and try out first guess you are going to find out.

Cheers
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

isportfish wrote:Hey Jack welcome aboard. Great choice of yak. The advice already given above is from the most knowledgeable and experienced kayakers here.

All I can add is choice of snowboard clothing may need some re thinking. Is it designed for immersion and could you swim in it in deep water?. If you are going to have a practice and try out first guess you are going to find out.

Cheers

My thoughts too, I don't know how much snow boarding gear will suit on water..
Personally iv gotten away with trakkies, splash proof pants over top, hoodie and t-shirt and wetsuit booties, but once I was immersed in surf zone I quickly realised the down side of bulky unsuitable attire.

Go with someone for your first time or two mate will set your mind at ease and all the guys here. Then fish on and fish hard this season the prowler is an awesome vessle
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Hyperx
Apprentice
kayak: none

Post by Hyperx »

right got the kayak today, was very interesting to have a big yak on a small car.
so when i was having a look, there were total 6 holes 2 on the back, another 2 on where the seat is and 2 at the front. the ones under the seat have these plastic fill in things so im assuming i also need to get stoppers so that water doesnt get in?
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Hyperx wrote:right got the kayak today, was very interesting to have a big yak on a small car.
so when i was having a look, there were total 6 holes 2 on the back, another 2 on where the seat is and 2 at the front. the ones under the seat have these plastic fill in things so im assuming i also need to get stoppers so that water doesnt get in?
The holes are called scuppers, there are there to let water drain out in rough conditions. You can get plugs for them which are good on flat water but if its rough on the bay you will want them open.
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

These holes are to allow water to flow out of the yak easily.
Scupper plugs fill these holes but any water then stays aboard with you (yes wet arse is common in the prowlers)
On a flat day consider using scupper plugs, but dont bother if it's choppy the water will get aboard and you'll have to unplug the scupper holes to allow it out.
Hope that makes sense.
Please practice safely climbing back on board before you go fishing. This can be a dangerous sport as the currently missing kayaker highlights.
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I used the scupper plugs on one trip on my Prowler and left them out after that. Just dress for the wet in dry pants or some nice warm wetsuit pants and accept the fact that you'll be sitting in a puddle all day.

The advantage is that you are lower in the water giving you a lower center of gravity, greater stability and less wind resistance.
Hyperx
Apprentice
kayak: none

Post by Hyperx »

yup perfect sense. i thought that if i kept it unplugged, then it will sink. but it seems that it does the opposite
choppers
PHD in Yakology.

Post by choppers »

Hyperx wrote:yup perfect sense. i thought that if i kept it unplugged, then it will sink. but it seems that it does the opposite

Notice the kayak has a sealed hull? This is what stops us From sinking mate the scupper just let excess water remove itself..

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Hyperx wrote:yup perfect sense. i thought that if i kept it unplugged, then it will sink. but it seems that it does the opposite
Only holes direct into hull are an issue, not through the hull. On my quests, I have them plugged (not in the tankwell), two of them on quick pull cords so I can pull them easy and not loose them. Stops me loosing stuff down the holes and the footwells would otherwise be flooded. In choppy conditions I pulled them, otherwise any minor spills I would occasionally sponge out, if I had nothing else to do. Its trial and error and your choice.

Good thing about snow board jackets is they have neoprene cuffs with thumb slits to seal the arms. Ok in winter but too hot in summer. You dont want quilted versions. I find water proofs are for keeping water and wind out, leave the insulation to thermal/fleece layers. This is because in milder conditions you will want water and windproofing without getting hot.