first time yak help

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Hyperx
Apprentice
kayak: none

first time yak help

Post by Hyperx »

hello all

I plan on getting an prolwer 4.1 elite by the end of the week and would like some help with what else i need and some launching spot help.
the yak comes with a fish finder(no battery) so i know i need a battery(any idea which ones?), a net , an anchor so anything else?
also, for my first voyage, i was thinking of launching from elwood boat ramp as it is the closest ramp available. i plan on doing soft plastics so any advice for that area would be appreciated
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: first time yak help

Post by cheaterparts »

Hyperx wrote:hello all

I plan on getting an prolwer 4.1 elite by the end of the week and would like some help with what else i need and some launching spot help.
the yak comes with a fish finder(no battery) so i know i need a battery(any idea which ones?), a net , an anchor so anything else?
also, for my first voyage, i was thinking of launching from elwood boat ramp as it is the closest ramp available. i plan on doing soft plastics so any advice for that area would be appreciated
not trying to put a dampener on you but if you are new to the sport there are a couple of things you need to learn -- first is re entries in deep water now the water is damm cold atm and going in for a swim isn't what most wont to do but if you can't get back on if you fall and quickly this time of the year ( cold water ) you will be in trouble

check out the safety section ---- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

but for this time of the year apart from your kayak and PFD of cause you will wont some warm gear ( thermal layers ) and some way to stay dry and trust me the prowler isn't a dry yak you will get wet and cold with out the right clothing --- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11394

so batteries most guys use a 12 v 7.2 ah there are plenty of places sell them - dry pants there are a couple of things you could look at Lovigs and kokatat both are about $ 190 - $ 200 but are well worth the money
thermals I use Adrenalin gear and I think Eoin ( seasherpa had then on special dont quote me though )
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Mike690
Apprentice
kayak: Stealth Fisha 460. Yamaha FXHO

Post by Mike690 »

I find a sea anchor/drogue to be much more usefull than an anchor when actively fishing soft plastics or squid jigs. These slow your drift without achoring you to the sea floor. A good paddle leach is also usefull.

Not sure about Elwood, but I know that around Mornington you can have some pretty good sessions simply trolling a couple of plastics behind the yak. Australian salmon love them.

Also download a couple of good weather apps such as Willy Weather and check wind speed and direction. These are not perfect, but can be a usefull tool.

The advice from Cheater is sound. If conditions are not good, or you are unsure don't go out. Kayaking can be particularly dangerous for newcomers as many fail to assess the abilities of themselves and their equipment and go out in poor conditions. It is much better to build your skills and confidence in good conditions.

Good luck, enjoy the new ride.

Mike.
Hyperx
Apprentice

Post by Hyperx »

at what condition would it be considered dangerous for a newbie to head out? im sure its rather subjective and vary depending on the person but some rough ideas
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Hyperx wrote:at what condition would it be considered dangerous for a newbie to head out? im sure its rather subjective and vary depending on the person but some rough ideas

Without first practicing to reenter your kayak, any conditions are very dangerous.
Wind speed has less impact than wind direction. For beginning I think a ten knots maximum is the normal limit, but please practice climbing aboard before you fish.

Read the safety section and see even more experienced fellas get in serious trouble (Yes read my story).

Enjoy the prowler and kayak life.
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Hyperx wrote:at what condition would it be considered dangerous for a newbie to head out? im sure its rather subjective and vary depending on the person but some rough ideas
I'd avoid going out when the forecast wind is more than 10 knots. The prowler will handle more than that when you get the hang of it but it is uncomfortable to fish in and while you are finding your feet it increases the risks of falling out into the water. With the water so cold this time of year it only takes a little while for hypothermia to set in and there aren't as many boats on the water to spot you and help you out in winter too.

When I got my first yak I did a couple of trips to a local lake to paddle it around and get a feel for it. The first trip in salt water was with a group of Vyak members so there were people around to assist if the S#!^ hit the fan somehow.

This time of year I wear dry pants, two or three layers of thermals, a tshirt, a hoodie and a spray jacket to stay warm, with a PFD over the top. Get some warm socks like explorers as well, cold feet make for an unpleasant day on the water.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Hi Jack,
Welcome to vyak and to the sport. Congrats on the new purchase - it will be the start of an addiction! It may sound doom and gloom, but as others have said this time of year hypothermia is a very real threat; you have to dress as if you plan on going in otherwise you won't survive very long if you do. As Cheater said, I can sort you out with a set of fleece lined thermals on sale, or I think Keith said there is a sale at BCF or Anaconda on thermals too, it was a recent thread on here.
In terms of weather 10knts for a newbie, but as Choppers pointed out there is a lot more to it than just the strength of the wind that will have a bearing on when to go out.
Here is some info that might be useful: https://seasherpakayaks.wordpress.com/2 ... k-fishing/
Cheers,
Sea Sherpa
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I suggest definately going with someone first. Trips are often posted in advance and this time of year you want to make sure that your trip is staying close to shore.
I will be fishing next good weekend morning either Ricketts point,Port Melbourne or Point Cook. I'm looking for very light conditions. Prefer 5 knots. You'd want a day where the wind is also scheduled not to increase dramatically.

You will also learn that 10knots West wind on your side of the bay (Elwood, Ricketts Point) is vastly different to the same wind direction and speed at places like Altona. Basically if the wind is onshore expect bigger chop.

Not sure what tackle you have but having some SP's, couple squid jigs and a couple lures for Salmon is mostly all you need this time of year.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The more water the wind crosses the lumpier it will be. Even if its windy in the middle of the bay and relatively still near the shore it will be bumpy. Dont take your weather forecast from the evening news or by looking out the window. Nor be fooled by a sunny day.

By the way good choice for first kayak.
Hyperx
Apprentice

Post by Hyperx »

wow thanks guys for all the reply.
clothing should be fine as i have clothes that i used for snowboarding.
i think ill first try going to brighton pier and have a bit of a paddle, get wet a bit and see if its enough clothing and also try reentering.
ill probably hold of fishing for a bit until i see the ideal condition and definitely ask someone to go out with me.