first time yak help

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: first time yak help

Post by laneends »

Hyperx wrote:
choppers wrote:
Hyperx wrote:does anyone have a recommendation for installing a rod holder? a bit scared to drill a hole into the yak

What type of fishing do you normally do? Soft plastics, baits??
Cheaterparts can make up some rod holders to fit a prowler without drilling... I love my setup but it's pretty custom for bait fishing at anchor
for the most part i plan to do mostly lures and only bait fish for kgw which i do plan on trying out extensively.

but really for the most part lure is what i plan on doing so perhaps the default kayak rod holder hole would be enough? i was kind of scared of losing the rod in case i tip it over
will you be trolling a couple of rods or just casting a single rod? The locking style pistol rod holders are good for securing rods. The berkleys, as per mavs link, are good for mounting forward and keeping reels and butts out of the way, but they are not locking.
Hyperx
Apprentice
kayak: none

Post by Hyperx »

probably have 2 rods out for the most part. 1 jig and i plastic. to be honest, im not exactly sure of "how" to fish from the yak so im not sure myself anymore
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

I'm very happy with the RAM rod holders I have forward on either side of the Revo. They can be tilted forward out of the way for paddling, and can be angled in any direction. Pretty solid with a strap to secure the rods in transit. You would need to install a couple of RAM ball mounts (4 screws each) to attach them. Only problem is if you have long rod handles, and you want to troll with the rods out to the side, then the butt of the rod has to be positioned so as not to be kicked as you pedal.