fish finder help

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: fish finder help

Post by laneends »

Toady king wrote:hey guys, speaking of coincidence, I found someone selling a Garmin echo 300c locally that includes the battery (needs charging) and everything else and I am going to check it out. and it's in my price range
I got one of these on my quest 11, great little sounder draws little current so can go for ages on a charge. Mine wont show reading under 1m. Which is generally ok unless you spend a fair bit of time skimming over shallow banks (common in WP). Check the connections for excessive signs of corrosion. Turn fish symbols off. Bright screen that is easy to read in any light
Toady king
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Waterdance Kingfisher

Post by Toady king »

laneends wrote:
Toady king wrote:hey guys, speaking of coincidence, I found someone selling a Garmin echo 300c locally that includes the battery (needs charging) and everything else and I am going to check it out. and it's in my price range
I got one of these on my quest 11, great little sounder draws little current so can go for ages on a charge. Mine wont show reading under 1m. Which is generally ok unless you spend a fair bit of time skimming over shallow banks (common in WP). Check the connections for excessive signs of corrosion. Turn fish symbols off. Bright screen that is easy to read in any light
thanks for that ! :-) because it's under a metre deep it should be a big problem should it ?
a quick fish can be between 1-8 hours
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Toady king wrote:
laneends wrote:
thanks for that ! :-) because it's under a metre deep it should be a big problem should it ?
Its an issue when you have a mirage drive and dont want to hit bottom, less so with a paddle kayak. Problem is it cuts out when it drops to a meter but does'nt cut back in until it drops substantailly, say 1.7-2.0m. This would be a pain in the top end of WP. Thats what mine does anyway, dont know if its particular to the way mine is set up or its a feature of the model in general
Toady king

Post by Toady king »

laneends wrote:
I can see how that would be a problem. I'll keep that in mind About the 1m issue :-)
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I had a 300c for a few years. An OK sounder but now fairly out of date compared with the features of newer models in a similar price range. I wouldn't pay more than half what you could get the striker for. Also beware the cable connections on these sounders can get badly corroded over time and fail. I went through 2 sets. Cost of a new cable is sometimes more than a new sounder. Buy new if you can imho.
0408 565 763
Toady king

Post by Toady king »

shane wrote:I had a 300c for a few years. An OK sounder but now fairly out of date compared with the features of newer models in a similar price range. I wouldn't pay more than half what you could get the striker for. Also beware the cable connections on these sounders can get badly corroded over time and fail. I went through 2 sets. Cost of a new cable is sometimes more than a new sounder. Buy new if you can imho.
actually I just had a look and you're totally right. I'll fork out a bit extra and get myself a newer model! thanks for that saved myself a lot possible future problems :-)
Toady king

Post by Toady king »

im going to get the Garmin striker 4 at bcf while it's on special I feel like I'll be stupid not too fork out $40 extra and get a much better product :mrgreen: thanks for all the help guys and keeping me from rushing out and making an idiot out of myself like normal :lol:
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

Toady king wrote:im going to get the Garmin striker 4 at bcf while it's on special I feel like I'll be stupid not too fork out $40 extra and get a much better product :mrgreen: thanks for all the help guys and keeping me from rushing out and making an idiot out of myself like normal :lol:

Good for you. Tons on info on install already on vyak or just post a thread and ask youl be reading the bottom in no time
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Toady king

Post by Toady king »

choppers wrote:
Toady king wrote:im going to get the Garmin striker 4 at bcf while it's on special I feel like I'll be stupid not too fork out $40 extra and get a much better product :mrgreen: thanks for all the help guys and keeping me from rushing out and making an idiot out of myself like normal :lol:

Good for you. Tons on info on install already on vyak or just post a thread and ask youl be reading the bottom in no time
this is my first time dealing with a fish finder so I have a feeling I'll have many questions about installation haha
btw im picking it up tomorrow:-)