Standing up in a PA14

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Standing up in a PA14

Post by chrisw »

Was wondering how many PA owners regularly stand up in them while on the water?

I've had enough trips now to become pretty comfortable in the yak but am still too nervous to stand up while away from the shore, even in calm conditions, as I'm worried about tipping it. I've tried a number of times and only once made it all the way upright before sitting back down.

Part of my issue may be that being over 6' tall and having a heavy midsection I move the center of gravity of the yak up somewhat more than someone shorter or thinner. That combined with the fact I'm often a little unsteady of my feet after sitting for hours plus need to 'push off' a bit as I get up makes it a bit of a challenge.

So I guess I have a few questions: firstly, does it even matter? Is there any good reason for standing up while on the water? I can see at least two reasons I may want to do it but neither are particularly critical: one is to relieve myself (there are numerous alternatives so that isn't something I care about now) and the other might be if I wanted to cast/retrieve with some extra height. This one is of more interest to me but lacking fishing experience I don't know if it's something that really matters.

Supposing I did want to stand up, would something like the Adjustable H-Bar make any difference? Has anyone tried one (or a similar arrangement?). Part of my issue in getting up is that in the process of getting out of the seat it seems natural to put more weight on one foot than another which, even if for a short time, will rock the yak and cause an instinctive rebalance attempt that will rock it the other way. It seems to me that if I had something to stabilise my upper body with, plus something I could pull on while gettig up, the issue would be less severe.

Of course I may be over-analysing the issue here, or even completely misunderstanding it. I might just have to bite the bullet and learn to stand up without using the yak equivalent of training wheels ;) but that said it does seem a useful thing to have if one intends standing for any length of time.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Standing up in a PA14

Post by laneends »

I think it is more of a fresh water thing for sight casting and makes lure and fly casting more accurate. Dont think many do it on the bay other than taking a leak.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Alternative for taking a leak with a vantage style seat if you can't stand up (revos etc) is a pvc drain tube you can pee into that emptys direct over mirage slot. Saves shuffling forward of the seat. I actually just repurpose my rear pvc extension tube out of the rear rod holders. Quick rinse and its a rod holder again :up:
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

laneends wrote:Alternative for taking a leak with a vantage style seat if you can't stand up (revos etc) is a pvc drain tube you can pee into that emptys direct over mirage slot. Saves shuffling forward of the seat. I actually just repurpose my rear pvc extension tube out of the rear rod holders. Quick rinse and its a rod holder again :up:
Yep, I keep a flexible tube in the interior for exactly this purpose (is the right size to fit the scupper hole under the seat too). Haven't had to use it yet though, but it's there for an emergency.

To be honest my concern about peeing over the side is less the difficulty of standing up and more the "OMG a pervert exposing himself" nature of society these days, combined with everyone having a camera. Sure, maybe they can only see it through binoculars but who wants the hassle of dealing with that?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I rarely ever stand up but then I'm 6'4" and don't posses perfect balance. It can be useful lure fishing and to get a better perspective but I can't stay up for too long. I've seen others who can stand up cor extened periods, even on the bay but it's not for me.

The main concern is falling out of the yak as it's not a big area from up there. I've tried walking all over the surface during reentry practice and it's amazing how difficult it is to tip a PA. Try it, you may gain a bit of confidence standing.
0408 565 763
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I am 6' and only stand for casting at structure. Was very uncertain at first, but then as Shane has said do a surf day next summer and you will see just how hard it is to tip.

Fix for me came from the fella that used to own AWS...he unhitched the loop in the cord under the Vantage seat (at the front) lifted the seat up out of the way and step into that area...armrests either side to brace and the backrest to brace your legs against behind....
I'd still rather have outriggers tho as any violent motion causes rocking and thats what unnerves a person.....swore I'd do a session to help ovecome that fear at a safe location mid summer but never got around to it.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

shane wrote:I rarely ever stand up but then I'm 6'4" and don't posses perfect balance. It can be useful lure fishing and to get a better perspective but I can't stay up for too long. I've seen others who can stand up cor extened periods, even on the bay but it's not for me.

The main concern is falling out of the yak as it's not a big area from up there. I've tried walking all over the surface during reentry practice and it's amazing how difficult it is to tip a PA. Try it, you may gain a bit of confidence standing.
I'm your height so yeah you know what I mean :)

I'd like to do re-entry practice (and in fact the one time I did stand up in my PA was when I was about to jump off for this reason) but I decided not to as to get far enough out from my launch spot to be out of my depth can take me several hundred meters from the beach and apart from then having to drag it back if I can't get back in there's the other issue that without someone else around it can look to observers as if you're in trouble, and I don't want to freak people out (there's almost always people on the beach and passing boats).

Ideally I'd like to get together with a group (or at least one other yakker) and go out to do a practice together. I know these occasions come up from time to time so next time one's on I'll be sure to attend.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

chrisw wrote:
shane wrote:I rarely ever stand up but then I'm 6'4" and don't posses perfect balance. It can be useful lure fishing and to get a better perspective but I can't stay up for too long. I've seen others who can stand up cor extened periods, even on the bay but it's not for me.

I'm your height so yeah you know what I mean :)

I'd like to do re-entry practice (and in fact the one time I did stand up in my PA was when I was about to jump off for this reason) but I decided not to as to get far enough out from my launch spot to be out of my depth can take me several hundred meters from the beach and apart from then having to drag it back if I can't get back in there's the other issue that without someone else around it can look to observers as if you're in trouble, and I don't want to freak people out (there's almost always people on the beach and passing boats).

Ideally I'd like to get together with a group (or at least one other yakker) and go out to do a practice together. I know these occasions come up from time to time so next time one's on I'll be sure to attend.
I've got an outback not a PA. I am still wobbly on my feet and need to push off to stand which creates additional wobble. I am not good at going from sitting to standing & vica versa but once standing I find it OK, but like you don't really have a need to stand, except to build confidence. I am not in to sight casting
Ive been to a couple of practice sessions with other Vyakers to practice standing up & self rescue.
The year before last a practice session was arranged in a heated pool during the winter.
It was quite a sight to see several yakkers using their yaks as stand up paddle boards in a 25m heated indoor pool.
I haven't seen anyone post a practice session for a while though.
if you don't see one posted in the near future post one yourself and see if you can drum up a few Vyakers to join you.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I stand in the pa and the outback. Love stand up squiding actually. Its a confidence thing as in calm conditions they are both great

It gets the blood flowing as well on cold mornings after a few hours
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

No need for standing Chris. More for freshwater. I'm also a big man and I've stood up however didn't feel comfortable. If you are going to do it often then the H rail is good. However no point in putting every gadget possible on the yak. You have to go with what is good for you. In terms of toilet breaks I use an old water bottle (with a wide lid :evilgrin: ). also acts as my marker bouy when drifting for squid.

Also in terms of fishing spots around your area there are some great spots for whiting, flathead and snapper near where you launch. Just have to do some research. Use Navionics as well. Also come snapper season watch where a lot of the boats are heading. Will probably be far out but you are already covering those K's already. if you are always launching from the river mouth at werribee there could be good fishing particular after rainfall. Salmon and Mulloway are chances I would think. I have never tried here but would be a good spot for them.