Hook confusion

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Hook confusion

Post by chrisw »

When I droppped around to Hooked On Bait and Tackle yesterday Mick helped me out with some initial tackle selections, including squid jigs and a few sets of hooks. Unfortunately I forgot which hook was for which fish (we were discussing flathead, pinkies and whiting).

I have a pack each of Mustad beak 1/0, Daaichi bait holder size 4 and Daaichi long shank-r size 6. Bait is pippies. Which hook would you suggest for which target?

NB I also have some MSP and jigheads and will probably be concentrating on those mostly, but I am keen to see if I can pick up some whiting while they are still on.
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Re: Hook confusion

Post by Munroe »

chrisw wrote:flathead, pinkies and whiting).

I have a pack each of Mustad beak 1/0, Daaichi bait holder size 4 and Daaichi long shank-r size 6
I'd say in the same order as you wrote Chris.

How did you go with rod combos down at Hooked on?
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Re: Hook confusion

Post by chrisw »

Munroe wrote:I'd say in the same order as you wrote Chris.
Cool, thanks.
Munroe wrote:How did you go with rod combos down at Hooked on?
Information overload. There's like 10,000 different rods there (well slight exaggeration) but Mick helped me settle on a combo of an Amped S-701M + Shimano 2500FB spooled with 200m of 5kg Toray F4. I will admit I didn't do the full combo test like you explained (with respect to the alignment of the reel to the rod) as it was pretty busy and I was running late. For my first modern rod I'm sure it will be fine; I expect I will get more later on and can fine-tune my selections then with a bit more experience under my belt.