PA newb questions (storage and rod holders)

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

PA newb questions (storage and rod holders)

Post by chrisw »

Folks,

So now I have finally got my PA wet I'm looking to kit it out a bit more, and am confused a little on two topics in particular and would like to seek some guidance.

Firstly, what use do people put the rear circular hatch on the PA14 to? With the indent for the skeg right under it, getting things in and out seems a little troublesome. Additionally, while there's a few things I could stick in there, there seems to be nothing to stop them sliding down into the middle of the hull making reaching them a problem. Suggestions for making this storage area more useful are welcome.

Secondly there seems to be a plethora of rod holders out there. I do have the basic holders that come with the Hobie H-Crate but nothing for up front.

Being on a PA I'll be using H-Rail but since most things can be adapted to that it doesn't cut down the field much. Initially I'll be fishing for squid, flathead and whiting and later down the track looking for snapper and gummy once I gain more experience. Hence I'll shortly be heading out shopping for some rods and other gear suitable for those initial targets. Should I wait until I have chosen rods before I purchase rod holders or are the good holders sufficiently generic I can order them now?

In either event, which holders find favor amongst us? Recommendations appreciated.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Re: PA newb questions (storage and rod holders)

Post by Seasherpa »

Chris,
The rear hatch on the PA is actually more of an access point to the inner hull for installations/repairs than being intended for storage. Older models didn't have the skeg and a battery holder could be used that sat in the rear hatch but these have now become redundant.
As for rod holders on a pedal kayak the choice is less important as you can place them anywhere, most commonly used seem to be ram mounts, railblaza and berkley. Berkley are the preferred option for paddle kayaks as you can lift a rod without having to reach the front of the rod holder.
Railblaza are good but dont put lubricants on the bases when they stiffen up as it will dissolve the plastic sliding lock mechanisms.
Ram mounts will also do the job but are more prone to movement under a big strike.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

Seasherpa wrote:As for rod holders on a pedal kayak the choice is less important as you can place them anywhere, most commonly used seem to be ram mounts, railblaza and berkley. Berkley are the preferred option for paddle kayaks as you can lift a rod without having to reach the front of the rod holder.
Railblaza are good but dont put lubricants on the bases when they stiffen up as it will dissolve the plastic sliding lock mechanisms.
Ram mounts will also do the job but are more prone to movement under a big strike.
Thanks Eoin, I think I'll go for the berkley.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

chrisw wrote: Thanks Eoin, I think I'll go for the berkley.
Berkleys are great for bait fishing but not so good for trolling as a fish strike can pull them out. I use berkelys up forward for bait and railblazas to the side for trolling and also bait.
0408 565 763
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

shane wrote: Berkleys are great for bait fishing but not so good for trolling as a fish strike can pull them out. I use berkelys up forward for bait and railblazas to the side for trolling and also bait.
Thanks Shane, So does this mean you are screwing the berkelys on the mounting boards and using railblazas with H-Rail adaptors?

Also given you have a PA, may I ask your opinon of the utility of the built-in tackle management trays? Do you use them or do you use the hatch for more general purpose storage? I see Hobie have a tray for it so it can be used either way.
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

chrisw wrote:
Seasherpa wrote:As for rod holders on a pedal kayak the choice is less important as you can place them anywhere, most commonly used seem to be ram mounts, railblaza and berkley. Berkley are the preferred option for paddle kayaks as you can lift a rod without having to reach the front of the rod holder.
Thanks Eoin, I think I'll go for the berkley.
Lubricants are ok on the railblaza mounts just don't use anything in a spray can as the fluorocarbons used to propel the liquid inside the can affects the plastic, just use some armour all in the Hand pump pack.
I use railblaza on my PA17 h-rail it's the best solution Hobie has done..

As for tackle tray, I have taken it out and use a larger tray/ folding box inside the hull this stores much more than you can get in the two Plano trays.
Shane's PA is very different in the hull as it doesn't have the tackle tray you have (earlier model)

Use the yak a bit more before you go to far in my opinion as everyone is different in how they like them setup, different fishing will require you to move things around so don't rush it try first.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

chrisw wrote:
shane wrote: Berkleys are great for bait fishing but not so good for trolling as a fish strike can pull them out. I use berkelys up forward for bait and railblazas to the side for trolling and also bait.
Thanks Shane, So does this mean you are screwing the berkelys on the mounting boards and using railblazas with H-Rail adaptors?

Also given you have a PA, may I ask your opinon of the utility of the built-in tackle management trays? Do you use them or do you use the hatch for more general purpose storage? I see Hobie have a tray for it so it can be used either way.
The berkleys are on the mounting boards with the railblazas back closer. As BJ mentioned, mines an older PA with a different tackle tub and longer running boards. With a newer PA you could mount the berkleys in the rod holders and put railblazas or similar on the H-rail, but check them all for reach first. With my tackle tub I've removed all but one small tackle box and use the open tub to store various tackle and tools.
0408 565 763
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

The best thing with the h-rail is they can be moved anywhere along the rail, I have them and they can be positioned either inside the rail or outside the rail so as to give you more room where you need it and within reach if needed.
You can remove them and have a clean hull for lure fishing if you like, and no holes drilled in the kayak.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

bjspinner wrote:The best thing with the h-rail is they can be moved anywhere along the rail, I have them and they can be positioned either inside the rail or outside the rail so as to give you more room where you need it and within reach if needed.
You can remove them and have a clean hull for lure fishing if you like, and no holes drilled in the kayak.
Ditti! Hrail mounted rams for me for everything except my flag thats on a mightymount. Super easy and flexible fir rigging.

https://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-fishi ... rod-holder

Thats the ones I've been using on the PA
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
chrisw
Square eyes

Post by chrisw »

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like I"m spoiled for choice on the PA which is a good thing :yahoo:

Since berkley, railblaza and ram are all decent I think I'll get one each and just see how they feel for my type of usage.

Here's hoping the KGW don't finish before I get set up :evilgrin: