Too fat for a Yak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
ratfish
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Outback + mini x + AI

Re: Too fat for a Yak

Post by ratfish »

When i was diagnosed with a kidney disease a couple of years ago and on heavy doses of all sorts of joys and steroids my weight shot up to 115-120. On my kayak at the time it was not a pleasant experience, stability went out the window and remounting was a hell of a lot harder, to the point it was easier to swim it in the one time I did test it out. Sitting for prolonged periods was uncomfortable and then when you factor in all the gear you start pushing any load limits. The reduced mobility I had also made reaching around and getting anything on the yak a bastard and had to be really careful not to tip it reaching behind. Granted I wasn't in a pa14 or similar, but not a pleasant time and almost the end of my kayaking experience.

There's certainly kayaks out there that are better suited to that size, they're bigger, chunkier and often take more effort to move around so consideration in trips would be another big factor.
Blinky900
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by Blinky900 »

My search options for a yak were either pa14 or slayer something that could definitely cope with my weight, I respect what the concerns the salesman may have had with my size but you can't looking someone up and down then think they know what's best as I staited earlier he has no idea if my strength or abilities.
The most disappointed was that I was not allowed to just sit in and see if the yak was comfortable or suitable for me and given the shop offered water test he should have atleast given me a chance to see if I was capable but once again being denied that option too was a bit hard to swallow.

Ive been working extremely hard to loose the weight and improve my quality of life and opting for pedal power over motor power was a far better option to continue my journey but again another door closes in my face it's just the joys of being a big fella.....
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

Go with a PA14 or PA12. Alternatively Hobie outback and put the side AMA kits on could be a great option.

I love my PA14. Perhaps once I get smaller I will look at alternatives but the PA14 will serve you well. Buy a 2nd hand one and can resell it close to what you paid for it.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I simply do not belive that a Hobie retailer would not give you the chance to sit in one on the water unless your beam is too wide for a vantage seat at this time....just means you are a bit premature with your "I want" may just be you need to give yourself a bit more time, so keep at it...you will get there!
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

Just to add I have the 2011 model. This is before the vantage seat. It is very wide and comfortable and it has no arm rests. The vantage has arm rests which would make it harder to get into to for a big man. You will also pick up an older model for less than the vantage seat. I understand the vantage seat is good however in this case you might be better with the old one. I really do load up my yak and I'm 130kg so 137kg will be no problem.

Also you are welcome to meet me one day before I go for a fish and try the yak (for a short time). Just send me a PM
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

vicyak wrote:

Also you are welcome to meet me one day before I go for a fish and try the yak (for a short time). Just send me a PM
Top blokes here, this is the best benchmark for you to see where you are at :thumbsup:

Stick with it,if you are not ready for it yet you soon will be. Where there is a will there is a way, one step at a time.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Blinky900 wrote:I'm now questioning and accepting maybe what he was saying is true maybe someone of my size is not suited for sport?
Nope. As others have said, you just need to get a suitable kayak (one that will handle the weight and you can re-enter). I do understand him not wanting you to get into it dry, though (I think you need to be under 70kg or so for that to be safe for the kayak).

I'm both taller and heavier than you and are planning on a PA14 for pretty much the same reason (I've lost a fair bit of weight and now want to get more off; the fishing is a bonus). From what I've learned (plus a lesson with Seasherpa, thanks mate!) I have no doubt it will handle me, and if that's the case it would you also.

Dunno where you are located, but in case it's of any use Eoin put me onto the fact that Action Watersports are doing a Hobie demo day at Sanctuary Lakes from 10am to 2pm on the 18th of March. I've confirmed they will have a PA14 there so I'll be going myself (booked a demo for 11am).

Would be happy to say hello if you choose to come along :thumbsup:
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

laneends wrote:
vicyak wrote:

Top blokes here, this is the best benchmark for you to see where you are at :thumbsup:

Stick with it,if you are not ready for it yet you soon will be. Where there is a will there is a way, one step at a time.

There was a Vyaker called fatyakker who was going to give up kayaking for safety reasons and sell his kayak.
He got so much support from other Vyakers that he ended up losing weight and kept his kayak.

I'm under 100kg but went for the outback due to its carrying capacity
I can load it up with SCUBA gear & weight belts.
You are welcome to try my 2010 outback out if you want.
Send me a PM.

Another option could be to do an introductory course with east coast kayak or seasherpa.
The course will include re-entry practice & you will be able to make your own informed decision after a day on the water on the provided kayak whether the sport is for you.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Jacko wrote:There was a Vyaker called fatyakker who was going to give up kayaking for safety reasons and sell his kayak.
He got so much support from other Vyakers that he ended up losing weight and kept his kayak.
He's got a few videos on youtube too including rentry for a PA14.

I actually PM'd him a few weeks back to ask what PFD he preferred as I figured it would probably suit me too. He told me he'd just recently picked up a Kokatat Bahia Tour and was quite happy with it. That's now on my list of stuff to order.
Blinky900
Apprentice

Post by Blinky900 »

Guys I want to say thankyou to all who responded with your suggestions and tips.

But I have make mention and a personal thankyou to Brian aka Vicyak, that was a extremely generous offer to allow my to do a water test I am very grateful thankyou.

Chris mentioned the hobie demo day next weekend and I followed it up today and booked a test on a Pa14 the guys on the phone were extremely helpful thanks for the heads up and I might see you down there.

Thanks again Matt..