Safe to lean Yak on hull?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
baitbreath
kayak: none yet

Safe to lean Yak on hull?

Post by baitbreath »

Hi Guys,

I have realized that I have no where to store my Kayak other than outside by the side of the house.
My other issue is I would need to lay it down leaning to 1 side of the bottom of the hull.
Is this going to warp or degrade the quality of the Yak?

At the moment I have it laying on a roll of carpet, 10cm high, so i think there is a bit of cushioning. I will also put a large tarp over it to protect it from the Sun/Rain.
I really have no where else to put it. Is this an issue?
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Safe to lean Yak on hull?

Post by Reeling »

Hi Franky, What kayak do you have?

I can only speak from a Hobie standpoint that they do stipulate not to store in on the side - for the reason you stated, potential warp over time. This is from my Revo manual:

if you do have a hobie, there is a fair amount of supporting documents here:
http://www.hobiecat.com.au/support/
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Mine sits in a stretcher supported in a tubular frame, it is slightly narrower than the yak so something like this could be an option, it is basically 2 'X's either end with bars joining the tops and a polycloth material across these.
It could sit outside with a suitable tarp over although mine is in a garage.
It folds flat when not in use, although mine is metal I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate out of pine which is not expensive, also makes it easy to work on at a nice height.
baitbreath

Post by baitbreath »

I have a Malibu Mini X.thanks for your replies
baitbreath

Post by baitbreath »

bunyip wrote:Mine sits in a stretcher supported in a tubular frame, it is slightly narrower than the yak so something like this could be an option, it is basically 2 'X's either end with bars joining the tops and a polycloth material across these.
It could sit outside with a suitable tarp over although mine is in a garage.
It folds flat when not in use, although mine is metal I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate out of pine which is not expensive, also makes it easy to work on at a nice height.
I think I can visualise what you mean. thank you
baitbreath

Post by baitbreath »

I was thinking, based on the previous response, would this be suitable to sit my kayak on outside when not in use? It could be weeks sitting on this at a time.

then i would put a tarp over it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Boat-S ... 1895877105
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Mine sits on its side but with multiple stiff foam blocks/wedges packed under to spread the load along its length. After each use it is often alternated to other side.

Dont angle against a wall it can cause assymetrical distortion

Dont sit flat on the bottom it will flatten out the bottom.

Mine gets used at least couple of times a week. Its when you leave it sitting for long periods in the heat that causes biggest issues
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

baitbreath wrote:I was thinking, based on the previous response, would this be suitable to sit my kayak on outside when not in use? It could be weeks sitting on this at a time.

then i would put a tarp over it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Boat-S ... 1895877105
Just be aware that the malibu is wider than a typical sit in kayak, you want it to sit in cradles not on them, that is they wrap up the sides, this causes "side compression as well as bottom compression to prevent distortion.

Similarly if you transport a kayak upright and strap it down to rails wrap the straps all the way around crossing over underneath, rather than just throwing over the top and clamping down resulting in only downward compression. Purpose made roof bar cradles do this by holding sides in
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

I have a long narrow garage with insufficient height to suspend above car height so my only option was to hang my Revolution in straps against the wall. I had no distortion issues after five years (when sold).

Hobie recommends a minimum of 1" wide straps and sells straps for the purpose:

On the wall, it looks a bit like the following

HINTS
- The wider the strap, the less chance of distortion (may matter in a hot tin shed but 1" did well in my cool under-building garage).
- rotate sides each time you store to share the load.
- you can spin you kayak right side up to work on something then spin it flat against the wall again
- hang low to the ground to minimise lifting but high enough so you can work on the kayak
- put your cart on and spin the kayak wheels down before unstrapping the end nearest the cart and vice versa.

Hobie Multi-strap has quality fittings and are easy to adjust but cost $40-odd. It wouldn't be too hard to make up something using webbing from a hardware or use something like this from eBay (but I haven't used it so can't vouch for seller or quality).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kayak-Wall-S ... Swal5YCCdx
Last edited by Steve_R on 03 Mar 2017, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

SLH hang them on the walls of their store like this.