Anchor chain and rope

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Anchor chain and rope

Post by Reeling »

Hey guys,

I've recently bought myself a 1.5kg anchor for the slow waters of PPB and now need to get myself a length of chain and some rope.

The question I have is what sized chain should I be looking at and what type of rope. I was thinking of 1m of chain but not sure of the necessary weight.

Also I was at bunnings yesterday and saw some of this rope...

At 60m, using the 3times rule, I was thinking that it would pass most of the depths I'll be fishing at. But it there a type of rope I should be getting

Cheers

Nath
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Anchor chain and rope

Post by laneends »

I would be probably go next thickness (5-6m) up if you are using cheapish rope. chain probably 6mm or so, just feel it and see if it has a bit of weight. For most of PPB it is not that critical.

I actually use e 700gm grapnel and about 1m chain for slow tide areas of PPB. It holds most of the time unless it gets real blowy. I also have another set up which has interchangeable(via shackles) 1.5 or 2.5kg grapnels for WP or rougher PPB conditions.

Having an overly cumbersome anchor set up is a pain if you are just constantly moving around in shallowish waters for example searching for whiting.

40-50m should see you right for most places. Keep in mind finer rope is harder on the hands if you really have to tug on it
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:I would be probably go next thickness (5-6m) up if you are using cheapish rope. chain probably 6mm or so, just feel it and see if it has a bit of weight. For most of PPB it is not that critical.

I actually use e 700gm grapnel and about 1m chain for slow tide areas of PPB. It holds most of the time unless it gets real blowy. I also have another set up which has interchangeable(via shackles) 1.5 or 2.5kg grapnels for WP or rougher PPB conditions.

Having an overly cumbersome anchor set up is a pain if you are just constantly moving around in shallowish waters for example searching for whiting.

40-50m should see you right for most places. Keep in mind finer rope is harder on the hands if you really have to tug on it
I use that cord on my anchor 3 mm seams fine to me for anywhere I fish in Westernport - its rate 135 kg and even if it was only half that breaking strain it would be enough
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

Ye it seemed that it would be strong enough even if it was half what it claims. I suppose I was more thinking what it would be like when it comes into contact with the salt water.

Glad someone else uses it.

It did cross my mind what the 3mm would feel like on the hands when pulling it up. Maybe I'll have to get some gloves for my keyboard hands. Haha
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:
It did cross my mind what the 3mm would feel like on the hands when pulling it up. Maybe I'll have to get some gloves for my keyboard hands. Haha
Even worse on the hands in winter. Just keep an eye on the rope near the anchor it gets quite abraded especially if you regularly anchor in rocky bottoms. I snapped mine through once on a stuck anchor.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

laneends wrote:
Reeling wrote:
Even worse on the hands in winter. Just keep an eye on the rope near the anchor it gets quite abraded especially if you regularly anchor in rocky bottoms. I snapped mine through once on a stuck anchor.
How many anchors have you lost Keith? :lol:
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

You can slide a length of pliable plastic tube over your chain and first few feet of rope. It helps avoid the abrasion and quietens the rattle of anchor operation.