first yak all rounder

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
rds_929
kayak: scorpio

first yak all rounder

Post by rds_929 »

I'm seeking some advice on a good first all rounder yak will mostly be doing river and lake work but would love to explore the bay aswell. have been looking at the terminator 10-12 or the dream kayaks beast and the 2monks dace. i've also been looking second hand but there isn't much floating about at the minute. any info would be greatly appreciated still unsure of what's the best size to go for to 3m or something more like 3.6m cheers guys
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: first yak all rounder

Post by laneends »

Welcome. Keep reading and you will soon see that folks recommend as close to 4m as you can get for an all rounder. it really does make a difference. One you have a kayak you will often do more than you thought you would. Nearly everyone who gets a 3m yak either gives up or upsizes pretty quick, unless of course they are definitely restricted to skinny waters.

Even lakes can get rough, and if you get stuck on the wrong side when it blows up you want something that can at least point in a straight line.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

rds_929 wrote:I'm seeking some advice on a good first all rounder yak will mostly be doing river and lake work but would love to explore the bay aswell. have been looking at the terminator 10-12 or the dream kayaks beast and the 2monks dace. i've also been looking second hand but there isn't much floating about at the minute. any info would be greatly appreciated still unsure of what's the best size to go for to 3m or something more like 3.6m cheers guys
laneends wrote:Even lakes can get rough, and if you get stuck on the wrong side when it blows up you want something that can at least point in a straight line.
as Keith has pointed out even lake get rough and rivers have flow you may have to go against ie paddle up steam in the Murray and you will find bits that move along quite quickly
paddling up hill with a short yak ( poor tracing and slow speeds ) looses fun its factor just as quickly

so really for quite waters ( little flow and protected ) 3 meter is probably fine

any open water ways with flow and likely to chop up with wind min 3.6 meter would be better

for the bays I would recomend even longer like the terminator 14 delux which is very much like an Ocean Kayaks Prowler 4.3 -- winchbitch on this forum has one and they are a very capable jigger - at 4.3 meters long they are stable , track well and are quite fast for a plastic kayak this make easier work of paddling into tide or river flows

I use a 4.3 meter kayak when fishing the Murray ( not that I get up there often )
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
rds_929
kayak: scorpio

Post by rds_929 »

legends thanks so much boys much appreciated , forgot to mention i'm on a bit of a budget and was hoping to keep the weight down as ill be transporting on my roof racks think i'll be going for the terminator 12 cause it's a local shop and ill be able to pop back in if i have any dramas unless shipping is cheap on the dream yaks beast