Campbells Cove Whiting?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Campbells Cove Whiting?

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Been to Campbells Cove a few times now and been quite successful in picking up some good flatty's and last time some also small pinkys. However what I would like to catch is some KGW. I am after some directions as to where relative to the Campbells Cove carpark launch site I should be looking (or indeed if I am wasting my time looking for whiting at Campbells). What sort of water depth? Incoming or outgoing tide?

Also for whiting is berley desirable, necessary or a waste of time? If used is it best to put burley down on bottom or up under the yak?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards.
Mick
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Campbells Cove Whiting?

Post by laneends »

Any where out in front of car park plenty of weed patches, 2-4m, about 400m or so out, need to anchor rather than drift etc.

Vicyak (Brian) your expert, FIL having a hut there and all, though I believe he's reporting it fairly quiet so far this season
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Tried for whiting lots of times this season at Campbells. Really struggling to find them. Flaties and Pinkies no problems.

We picked up a dozen once (2 of us) but haven't came close to getting the bag. On a positive note Altona in front of dog beach which is right next the boat ramp. go to 3.5m of water which is approx 500m from the beach. We picked up some great whiting there last Friday. Spoke to another fella on the way in they had 30 whiting close to 4m of water I think. they were just behind us.

I'm hoping to get out Saturday morning but might be on the stinker if the old man and will be at Campbells. But if he has a mate take him I will hit Altona as more productive I think. Will know more tomorrow.

Also last time I had 2 rods out. 1 rod had mussel and the other rod pippi. The Pippi's won the battle easily.
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

I'm confirmed for 6am Campbells Saturday morning. I'll be launching the boat about 6am about 8 shacks from the carpark so come say hi.

My father in law went yesterday and only picked up 1 whiting. Time to try some different spots. My preference is probably in the shallows in front of the RAAF base. You will see the sand in between the weed patches. First we will probably go for pinkies near the pier and then drift for squid whilst the low north winds are around.

Brian
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Thanks for the information and the invite. Unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow.

I was out on Wednesday but didn't try for whiting as it was a bit lumpy. The flathead and pinkies kept me busy. Interestingly they were only in a very narrow band, all in about 3m and stopped biting as the low tide approached.

Mick
vicyak
Lord of the fish

Post by vicyak »

Mick didn't miss much. We picked up 6 whiting on first light then shut down. couple of boats around us also got similar numbers but no one was biting in that area after that. Surprised to see lack of boats not drifting for squid. We tried however early morning there was no wind and then the water was actually quite dirty. No squid either.

Whilst on anchor we had a massive school of bait . I think blue bait under us. I quickly popped on a salmon lure just in case then almost right on time the salmon busted up on the surface. I got 2 but they were only small (bay trout). They were just size. Threw them back then moved on.

Great morning to be on the water.