New to the scene, seeking a Kayak!

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
eck0
kayak: TBA

New to the scene, seeking a Kayak!

Post by eck0 »

Afternoon All!

Just recently started shopping around and looking for a Kayak to use for fishing. I will mainly be mainly using it in rivers, along the shore line (if conditions permit). The only problem is that in terms of transport, I will only have soft roof racks, so length restrictions and weight applies. I cannot purchase hard mounted roof racks for my vehicle locally unfortunately (if i was to bring in a set of roof racks from Japan, it will be in excess of $500 for a pair).

General use for the kayak would be for fishing in general, targeting squid, bream, snapper, whiting and fish alike. For those in Victoria, the common area's that I would be visiting is Blairgowrie and Patterson Lakes.

I am approx 180cm in height and weigh 85KG, I'll be using one to two fishing rods at a time and not fussed in terms of main drive of power (hand or foot power). I have a budget of $800-$1000, not too concerned about speed but more stability of the kayak. Would be looking for something where I can atleast option in a proper seat.

Can anyone provide any recommendations? I will be doing my window shopping over the next couple of weeks.

From Freaksports, the Assasin GT Pro and Torpedo look attractive. https://www.freaksports.com.au/shop/kay ... er-series/

From BCF the Malibu Sierra looks good - http://search.bcf.com.au/search?p=Q&sri ... grid&srt=0

What are your thoughts of the above and what other kayaks should I consider?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: New to the scene, seeking a Kayak!

Post by choppers »

Welcome to vyak.
Im sure others will back me up here. Dont consider fishing the shore line as an option. Soon you will want to venture out further. The fishing is much better lol.
Anyway just dont put limits on yourself.

I have an older ocean kayaks prowler elite 4.5m and i love it. Hard to find bit still come up for around 1000.
Theres a few brands and models im sure someone else will elaborate
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Try to avoid short yaks unless you're only ever going to fish skinny creeks. Have a look at options for front and/or rear bars or even just rope restraints in combination with the soft racks. (eg have a look at Eoin's front rack here: http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... r&start=90, that can fit just about any car.) This will allow you to safely carry a longer yak and open up your options for something that will suit a wider array of fishing. Also have a search of some recent posts, there are plenty of people wrestling with choosing a yak just like you.
0408 565 763
timgu
kayak: Tarpon 120

Post by timgu »

I picked up an ex demo tarpon 120 for under 1k

Have a look around for yaks. From a few mates who bought cheap then upgraded makes sense to buy a quality unit first even if its second hand.

Gumtree has some great ones