Hot weather clothing?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
nebben838
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback (seagrass green)

Hot weather clothing?

Post by nebben838 »

Hey,
Just curious as to what people wear when the out on there yaks in summer? I have a long top and wide bream hat but i was thinking of wearing some tight legging thingys...i have a pair of loving dry pants but i thought they might get to hot. Having said that the leggings might get hot as well but i could poor water over them or hang them over the side to keep cool.

Thanks in advance.
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Re: Hot weather clothing?

Post by vicyak »

Like you I wear a long sleeve top. I worked for a safety company so they are all Hi Vis. Good thing they are bright, light and designed to keep you cool as well. I wear my old cycling long tights because that is what I have. Keeps the sun off well. If you are spending a very long day in the sun then use some head protection for your face as well.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Skins style long leggings with shorts over then a long sleeve quick dry top and my adaptacap.
0408 565 763
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Post by leap »

UPF30+ shirt/t-shirt and pants.. I get sunburn
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

TBH I dont find the dry pants get too hot. But then i spend a fair amount of my time with my legs over the side.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

I am not a fan of sunscreen when fishing so I have to cover up Akubra hat Long sleeve cotton shirt and long quick dry pants with zip off legs....(never have taken them off but could be handy if I end up swimming) and neoprene shoes. and after my last outing I think I will be wearing one of those head sock thingies as my chin and cheeks got a bit too much sun
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I don't get sunburnt so I just cover up as much as possible because I have a hard time knowing if sunscreen is doing it's job. I usually wear drypants, hi-vis long sleeve shirt and broad-brim hat+neck buff. Most of my fishing is early morning during summer so I'm usually off the water before it gets too hot for the drypants. I also have some long quick dry pants for those occasions when I don't wear my drypants.
nebben838
kayak: hobie outback (seagrass green)

Post by nebben838 »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Upf50+ long zip off pants/shorts (columbia I think?) things with a long sleevefishing shirt. A buff and wide brim hat or swap both for an urban turban. Crocs for shoes. A pair of spotters. Really should cover the hands up burnt fingers hurt and I have done that once or twice.

Should also slip on some sunscreen but forget 90% of the time which is why I picked clothing that covers up. Covering up with good breathable clothing also helps to stay cooler. Just be aware some clothing looses its upf rating when wet or tight against your skin
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Magpie_Mick
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Thanks for posting this question Ben as it is one that I have wondered about as well. Personally so far I have been wearing a broad hat, fishing shirt from Anaconda (good long sleeves, pockets and cool), my cycling pants, with socks (burnt feet are not fun). Also have some gloves to protect the back of my hands.

Mick