So many to choose from

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
ziggy
kayak: none

So many to choose from

Post by ziggy »

Hi guys, new here but been browsing for a while.

I could really do with some help narrowing down the options for a kayak.
I'm about 6'2 and I'd say 90-95kg nowadays.
Type of fishing will be mainly freshwater lakes, bullen merri, eildon, grampians district and such, but I'd like to be able to get into the bay(pinkies,whiting,squid), not far out though unless I'm heading out with others but I don't know any else yet with kayaks.

Price wise, flexible, I'd like to keep it at around 1k as for a beginner getting started, but can go to 3k(shouldn't but can) and with 3k being on the water fishing.
I have a commodore ute so going to spend about $500 on racks, prefer not a trailer at this stage.
I don't think I'll have any issues lifting it up, in my 30's reasonably fit.
I would also prefer a paddle as a form of fitness too, think I'd enjoy it to.

It would be nice to stand up and cast, as I'm use to landbased casting lures or if not just to strech my legs.
Can you sit sideways and dangle your feet in the water? It looks like you have to sit and twist your body most of the time.

So recently the Jackson cuda 14 looks very nice, I' like the storage options on it, and looks good.
I've seen the new one for $2500 or 2013 model for 1800

other than that the all look the same to me
hobie quest
wavedance kingfisher
just come across freaksports assassin and torpedo https://www.freaksports.com.au/shop/kay ... er-series/ as there in my area north west melbourne
The bcf malibu
wilderness systems
viking

Do any of the above stand out to you?

I'm happy with 2nd hand but not seeing much pop up right now.

Thanks in advance
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: So many to choose from

Post by Wind Waker »

Fishing lakes. Sight casting. Standing up.
Wide yak which might be a prick to paddle but others will chime in. I would suggest hobie outback/ pa or native slayer
New will kill your budget though. Worth considering.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

This may help, it is a poll on what kayaks people started with and ended up with.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18326

There have been some cheap 2nd hand Outbacks been getting around recently, kitted out for around $2,500 I believe. If you are on face book there are a couple of Groups that may be helpful as well, in regard to options and second hand yaks.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/418879764890845/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/310742185651455/
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you want a stand up river/ impound kayak you can look at wilderness ride 115 and jackson coosa.

keep in mind though anything you can easily stand in, is not going to be the sleekest for open choppy water. Hence dedicated river style stand up kayaks are not that popular in VIc as much of the fishing is done in teh bay. Keep in mind lakes can get choppy too.

As a rule when not paddling/pedaling I sit straddle on kayak, legs over each side. You can sit side saddle with a bit of practice and confidence.

Best aim for an all rounder 13 foot kayak, as once you get one you never know what you will end up doing. You would be surprised how far out in the bay you will have the confidence to go fairly quickly.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

ziggy wrote:Hi guys, new here but been browsing for a while.

I could really do with some help narrowing down the options for a kayak.
I'm about 6'2 and I'd say 90-95kg nowadays.
Type of fishing will be mainly freshwater lakes, bullen merri, eildon, grampians district and such, but I'd like to be able to get into the bay(pinkies,whiting,squid), not far out though unless I'm heading out with others but I don't know any else yet with kayaks.

Price wise, flexible, I'd like to keep it at around 1k as for a beginner getting started, but can go to 3k(shouldn't but can) and with 3k being on the water fishing.
I have a commodore ute so going to spend about $500 on racks, prefer not a trailer at this stage.
I don't think I'll have any issues lifting it up, in my 30's reasonably fit.
I would also prefer a paddle as a form of fitness too, think I'd enjoy it to.

It would be nice to stand up and cast, as I'm use to landbased casting lures or if not just to strech my legs.
Can you sit sideways and dangle your feet in the water? It looks like you have to sit and twist your body most of the time.

So recently the Jackson cuda 14 looks very nice, I' like the storage options on it, and looks good.
I've seen the new one for $2500 or 2013 model for 1800

other than that the all look the same to me
hobie quest
wavedance kingfisher
just come across freaksports assassin and torpedo https://www.freaksports.com.au/shop/kay ... er-series/ as there in my area north west melbourne
The bcf malibu
wilderness systems
viking

Do any of the above stand out to you?

I'm happy with 2nd hand but not seeing much pop up right now.

Thanks in advance
Every kayak you buy is a compromise of all the things you would like to do. You need to put an order to your priorities as as Keith has pointed out the ones you mentioned are on opposite sides of the design spectrum. Standing and casting requires high primary stability and therefore width. Being a good fitness paddle yak to cover distance requires secondary and skinniness. As others have mentioned most that prioritise standing go with pedal driven kayaks as generally the width that makes standing easy makes paddling a pain. Having said that multi-chined hulls are doing great things for making skinny boats easier to stand on to help you get the best of both worlds. Ideally though you need to get your bum into a few and take them for a test paddle to see what feels right for you.

Having said that if it helps here is my take on the brands you mentioned.
Wavedance kingfisher - one of the best bang for buck kayaks around, not a standing option but a cheap way to get out bait fishing
Wilderness Systems Threasher - great paddle yak well designed also not a standing option.
Wilderness Systems Atak - probably the best blend of what you want to do - standing and can be paddled
Viking Reload - probably the best paddler of the bunch but premium pricing.
Hobie Quest - both Shane and Keith have quests they should be able to tell you all about them but also not a standing option.
Good luck with the search :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Hoppers crossing is not far from you, so you could drop by aquayak and check their ranger out. Not the sleekest but they have a decent payload for $995

https://www.aquayak.com/fishing
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

having started with a Wavedance kingfisher like a lot of others here I can say they are a good starter yak however Winchbitch upgraded recently to a scopio terminator 14 and I think they are well worth a look

http://www.kayaksonline.net/kayaks/fish ... shing-seat

quite a good value for money option and well in your price range -- fairly quick on the water to quite easy to hold 6.5 - 7 kph we know this as it's around the speed he does now days after upgrading from his kingfisher

anyway as I said they are worth a look Andrew at Melbourne kayaks is pretty easy to deal with for these
Last edited by cheaterparts on 23 Jan 2017, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Mr Tangle
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Viking pro fish 400

Post by Mr Tangle »

I would recomend viking pro fish gt
Small kayak easy to paddle you can stand and fish from it
Not to expensive check them out! :up:
ziggy
kayak: none

Post by ziggy »

thanks all
looks like you cant go wrong with an outback if i can find a good price on one,

I'm going to go have a look tomorrow at a few others you listed I'm on my holidays at the moment so would be nice to get out on one.
Think Ill try get the best value for money I can.

I guess I don't need to stand up, but it's nice to know that I could.

Ill keep you posted with what i end up with
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

I have a older outback that I'm very happy with, a great all rounder in my option as it tick most boxes. I paid $1500 for mine and then a few hundred on pimping.