So many to choose from

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: So many to choose from

Post by laneends »

cheaterparts wrote:having started with a Wavedance kingfisher like a lot of others here I can say they are a good starter yak however Winchbitch upgraded recently to a scopio terminator 14 and I think they are well worth a look

http://www.kayaksonline.net/kayaks/fish ... shing-seat

quite a good value for money option and well in your price range -- fairly quick on the water to quite easy to hold 6.5 - 7 kph we know this as it's around the speed he does now days after upgrading from his kingfisher

anyway as I said they are worth a look Andrew at Melbourne kayaks is pretty easy to deal with for these
Does mal have the "deck chair" on that, or standard seat? Heard the deck chair version made it tippy. Also a wet cockpit if you are a big bloke. Though mal's only a little guy, so could be fine. Looks very prowlerish
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

ziggy wrote:thanks all
looks like you cant go wrong with an outback if i can find a good price on one,

I'm going to go have a look tomorrow at a few others you listed I'm on my holidays at the moment so would be nice to get out on one.
Think Ill try get the best value for money I can.

I guess I don't need to stand up, but it's nice to know that I could.

Ill keep you posted with what i end up with
If you around Mornington SLH do demo days for Hobies. If you are around Geelong, AKS can do a demo for you as well. I am sure other dealers can offer tests as well.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
ziggy
kayak: none

Post by ziggy »

maverick wrote:
If you around Mornington SLH do demo days for Hobies. If you are around Geelong, AKS can do a demo for you as well. I am sure other dealers can offer tests as well.
Neither unfortunately, st.albans , 1h-1hr.30 either way, but got a message from a member offering me to try out his outback, which is nice.

I think more have been added to the list.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

laneends wrote:Does mal have the "deck chair" on that, or standard seat? Heard the deck chair version made it tippy. Also a wet cockpit if you are a big bloke. Though mal's only a little guy, so could be fine. Looks very prowlerish
Mal runs the std seat model and I think you would be right on the high seat model - as for looking like the prowler you are right the hull shape looks the same however they have cut the rocker back a lot
this should make it faster than the prowler ( maybe thats why I work so hard to keep up with him ) the centre storage tackle hatch looks the same also

so it's fairly easy to recommend at 4.3 meters as stable and fast as a prowler and under a grand
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Can't stand up in it without the outriggers, but it makes a good paddle & pedal yak

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23364
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

cheaterparts wrote:
laneends wrote:- as for looking like the prowler you are right the hull shape looks the same however they have cut the rocker back a lot
probably reduced forward volume and bouyancy so it wont have the performance the prowler has for surfing or following seas. But then for the price you cant expect prowler capabilities. Would be interesting if you had a paddle in mals to test the difference
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Post by pete49 »

Pity your so far away there's a guy here selling 2 Hobie quests for $800 ea. Can't afford it otherwise I would add one to my collection
Pete
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

pete49 wrote:Pity your so far away there's a guy here selling 2 Hobie quests for $800 ea. Can't afford it otherwise I would add one to my collection
Pete
I'm always up for a drive, how far away is this?

I popped into aquayak today those rangers look good I see you can hire one, and they can do a great package for $1000 to $1200 its just seems to be missing that center storage.

There's an exdemo wilderness thresher for $1500 but need to add paddle and extras on top of that. How much would you rate it over the package deal?
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

I have a thresher (and i believe took the demo one for a spin). It works for me as I had a few restrictions (as I am 6' 8", 110kg). I do like the flex pod. Here is my sounder install.
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 27#p249989

Push them a bit harder on the price.

Regards,
Mick
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

Judging by your link, looks like were talking about the same one.

They look very convenient, I imagine all the extras and mounts add up for it though, I'd be looking at about 1k left over in budget.