Couple of questions for complete noob

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Re: Couple of questions for complete noob

Post by isportfish »

Question 1 been sufficiently answered.

Question 2. Plenty of spots in both bays. Being new take notice of advice already given re conditions and yours/kayaks limitations.

Close spots to Seaford. Ricketts (great fishing, busy, marine park, parking restrictions & paid parking give me the shits).

Oliver's Hill (close, fishing is ok, parking good if you get a resident parking permit, when will they finish boat ramp?)

Sunnyside( good fishing, ok launch from end car park, super busy on sunny days).

Have a good read of trip reports and you will find plenty good info. Also is an old post on here which has a map and description on launch spots. See if I can find it later.

Here it is. Click on the link last post
http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ap#p222570

Cheers
Last edited by isportfish on 28 Dec 2016, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Once you find an area you want to try post here and someone will give you the lowdown on current best suitable launch spots
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Olivers hill ramps x2, both open

Fyi, parks are charging for all trailers again at patto, cost me $15 to launch the yak the other morning
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Hi Brett. What are the charges at Patto if your yak is roof mounted?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

happyas wrote:Hi Brett. What are the charges at Patto if your yak is roof mounted?
Free :up:
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

Great thanks. Haven't launched there for a couple of years, just thought they may have instigated a charge over the last couple of years.
Jerryx4
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Ebay Banger

Post by Jerryx4 »

Sorry to be alittle late but also Model aircraft 3S lipo batteries are great, lightweight & usually sealed.
If have an appropriate charger grab a 4000mah 3S battery. Powers a fishfinder all day no issues. I got a tupperware type container put wires from fishfinder in and sealed the holes just incase. Even so it's inside the hull so all good.
I came here to get wet.....
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Post by Deefa »

Jerryx4 wrote:Sorry to be alittle late but also Model aircraft 3S lipo batteries are great, lightweight & usually sealed.
If have an appropriate charger grab a 4000mah 3S battery. Powers a fishfinder all day no issues. I got a tupperware type container put wires from fishfinder in and sealed the holes just incase. Even so it's inside the hull so all good.
Try and get some LiFePo4 (different lithium chemistry) batteries, instead of LiPo, these don't burn/explode under short circuit/puncture conditions. In general, lithium chemistry batteries are great, just get a good RC charger (whicch are great for lead acid batteries too)
happyas
Lord of the fish

Post by happyas »

3s battery is 11.1v nominal. Not sure of the voltage drop as they go flat. At 66% charged mine shows 11.8V. Most sounders have a wide range of voltages in which they will operate. If my sounder draws 600Ma and my battery is a 4000Ma Lipo, does that mean I will get 5+ hours out of it safely without damaging the battery?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

happyas wrote:3s battery is 11.1v nominal. Not sure of the voltage drop as they go flat. At 66% charged mine shows 11.8V. Most sounders have a wide range of voltages in which they will operate. If my sounder draws 600Ma and my battery is a 4000Ma Lipo, does that mean I will get 5+ hours out of it safely without damaging the battery?
It could be that your sounder isn't showing the full voltage (this is typical). A Lithium cell is 3.7V at minimum charge and 4.2 volts at full charge. So 11.1 to 12.6V range measured at the cells. A 4000mAh pack should discharge roughly the full 4000mAh across the voltage drop range (6 2/3 hrs for a 600mAh draw). If you get less than this then the cells may not be fully charging or the sounder could be cutting out early.
0408 565 763