Snapper rig

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
swong31
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 17t

Snapper rig

Post by swong31 »

Hi all

I am pretty new for fishing snapper. Can I please ask fews questions?
1. Which rig is the best /better?
2. I heard the lighter sinker the better the result, could anyone please explain why?
3. If I use running sinker rig, is it nessary to wait the bait hit the bottom, or the sinker??

Thanks a lot!!!!!
Fishing Fever :evilgrin:
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Re: Snapper rig

Post by Smish »

From Altona to Mt Martha I don't use sinkers, if you're cubing pillies they're drifting down through the water column, not dropping to the bottom like a rocket, snapper often hit the bait on the way down, its the same with soft plastics, most of your hits are going to come on the drop. Snapper will pick stuff up from the bottom but you may as well fish the whole water column, when it gets quiet I cube or give the burley bomb a shake and recast the baits to drift down with the burley. If you're fishing where there's current just use a Western Port style rig, they're well documented. I use black terminal tackle, hooks, swivels etc... don't really know for sure if it works better but it looks cool.  :lol:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

swong31 wrote:Hi all

I am pretty new for fishing snapper. Can I please ask fews questions?
1. Which rig is the best /better?
2. I heard the lighter sinker the better the result, could anyone please explain why?
3. If I use running sinker rig, is it nessary to wait the bait hit the bottom, or the sinker??

Thanks a lot!!!!!
1 it does depend where yoir fish as there are many ways to skin a cat -- bait fishing PPB top end ( no tide flow to worry about ) no sinker needed just a hook and bait it will drift down and look natural

2 I think in all fishing the least weight you can use to get a bait to the bottom is best - in high tide flows that could be 8 oz and still be the lightest you can use -- so for any fish you are bait fishing for use the smallest sinker that will still get your bait to the bottom

3 not sure what you mean with this one but no matter what rig I use the sinker will hit the bottom and the tide - weight of the bait will let the bait make its own arrangements
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Main reasons for using any sinker in low tide flow is for casting distance when using smallish light bait, this is not as important on a kayak compared to LB. The other reason is to stop lines drifting into each other and tangling, sometimes an issue when fishing up to 4 lines. If this is proving a problem use lightest possible.

Typically I would use a couple of lightly weighted rigs wide out each side of tide direction and two unweighted directly downtide. Remember in low tide yak may be sitting downwind rather than down tide, so it may be side on rather than straight out front.

Not all big baits sink as quick as their weight may make you think, they can have their own bouyancy. It can take only a small tide flow to prevent them sinking. If in doubt even a small inline sinker above the hook will take it down. On a big bait fish wont notice it.

Where there is large tide range, eg westernpost. Standard is an ezi rig so you can easily change sinker according to conditions.
swong31
Apprentice

Post by swong31 »

Thanks a lot guys
will try again and see if i can catch any red before the season finish this year :)
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Go with the lightest sinker possible. I was recently on Matt Hunts charter and our rigs were exactly the same. 2 hooks about 4 inches apart with a pea sinker to the top hook. Lightest sinker possible to get to the bottom. PPB you get away with this.

Bottom hook uni knot and top hook snell knot. I also use one snapper snatcher rig setup on the side but usually the pinkies are getting this.
Circle hook to the bottom hook. Octopus or circle to the top hook.
swong31
Apprentice

Post by swong31 »

vicyak wrote:Go with the lightest sinker possible. I was recently on Matt Hunts charter and our rigs were exactly the same. 2 hooks about 4 inches apart with a pea sinker to the top hook. Lightest sinker possible to get to the bottom. PPB you get away with this.

Bottom hook uni knot and top hook snell knot. I also use one snapper snatcher rig setup on the side but usually the pinkies are getting this.
Circle hook to the bottom hook. Octopus or circle to the top hook.

you're the best man
thanks for the advice
Brute
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie

Post by Brute »

If you use no sinker at all ( common for Port Phillip ) you really need to be using monofilament line , it sinks where as braid floats .