Smartphone GPS apps?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Smartphone GPS apps?

Post by mingle »

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a so-called 'smartphone' (Android) and I'm using the in-built Google Maps for in-car navigation

In fact the main reason I got it is to use as a GPS - I don't have a SIM card in it!

What I'm looking for is something that will enable me to use it in the same way as my Garmin E-Trex hand-held GPS.

The features I need are:

1: The ability to transfer tracks, waypoints and routes to/from the app to my PC.
2: Detailed marine AND topographic maps.
3: Customisable track recording (time, distance, etc).

Not sure what's out there, despite a bit of Googling, so I thought I'd check here to see what others use.

Cheers,

Mike.
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

Re: Smartphone GPS apps?

Post by Nello »

I've got three on mine,

I use Navionics au/nz the most, I think it cost around $20 but is definitely worth it (the free version is still pretty good though)

Gps waypoints navigator made by ds software which I think cost around $10-$20 (free version is called polaris gps navigation, upgraded to allow me to save more spots)

I've also got embark - nautical charts which I believe is free and has some pretty good maps including landmarks and some offshore reefs.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I have samsung/android and use a free app Real time GPS tracker. To date have not used it enough to know all its abilities but it seems able to get me there and back as its linked to google map. . Iss suppoaed to be very power hungry so I switch it off when not in use. But have Juice Defender operating to manage my power consumption.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Just watch the drain on the phone battery. I turn navionics Ap on and off when required rather than keeping it running all the time
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

laneends wrote:Just watch the drain on the phone battery. I turn navionics Ap on and off when required rather than keeping it running all the time
I still get 6 hours use with navionics on a 2 year old phone. Trick is to only turn the screen on when required. Unless you're anchored for a while, very rarely are you not checking it often enough for the GPS tracking to cut out
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the replies...

Does Navionics record track data? Can you upload waypoint files (.KML, GPX, GBD, etc) as well?

Cheers,

Mike.