Railblaza visibility kit- best location?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Railblaza visibility kit- best location?

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Bought a Railblaza visibility kit (flag and light). I wondered what people's preferred location is to put it? My thought us immediately behind my seat as I would not be able to reach it on the stern. Also I thought that on the stern would increase likelihood of tangles when trolling and also make a re-entry from the rear more difficult.

Thoughts?
Mick
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Re: Railblaza visibility kit- best location?

Post by Franko »

Good question, if you re-enter from the rear could you disconnect it once you have up righted the yak? If its behind the seat would it a cause havoc when you are trying to reach gear behind you? Certainly out of the way is best, I am putting a rail blazer mount on the top of the rear hatch in my outback. Being that it is rail blazer you could have several mounts around the yak and use cam boom, rod holders etc.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Magpie_Mick wrote:Bought a Railblaza visibility kit (flag and light). I wondered what people's preferred location is to put it? My thought us immediately behind my seat as I would not be able to reach it on the stern. Also I thought that on the stern would increase likelihood of tangles when trolling and also make a re-entry from the rear more difficult.

Thoughts?
Mick
Do you use a crate of any sort in the back? You could mount it on that if you do, or in a rocket launcher.

Stuff directly behind the seat can get in the way and be annoying when you lean back, .

If you do have to run a rod around the back with fish on, or to untangle, then raising over something mounted mid way back down the tankwell (ie crate mounted) is easier than when rear or forward mounted.

Dont forget you can use railblaza adjustable adapters to increase flexibility
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Magpie_Mick wrote:Bought a Railblaza visibility kit (flag and light). I wondered what people's preferred location is to put it? My thought us immediately behind my seat as I would not be able to reach it on the stern. Also I thought that on the stern would increase likelihood of tangles when trolling and also make a re-entry from the rear more difficult.

Thoughts?
Mick
If you are right handed, I'd put it on the slide trax on the rear port side. That way you can adjust it forward or back so that you can find the right spot to avoid your trolled lines. You would most likely always do your re-entry fro the side on that yak, but if you did come in the back a mount on the trax wouldn't really be in your way. If you need to turn the light on or off while on the water, you just sit side saddle and twist the shaft of the visi pole to loosen the connector, the light will drop down to the lowest setting allowing you to reach the button with your right hand. Then raise the pole again and twist clockwise to lock.
Hopefully that makes sense?
JägerMarty
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback 2015

Post by JägerMarty »

I've got mine mounted at the back near the rear hatch of my outback.
I only use it if I'm out at night or on the bay
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Where this guy has his camera is where I've installed my visibility kit on the Viking, it's a different layout to the Thresher though ( A nicely thought out yak BTW ) but it should still be convenient to operate on the water in that position.

Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Smish wrote:Where this guy has his camera is where I've installed my visibility kit on the Viking, it's a different layout to the Thresher though ( A nicely thought out yak BTW ) but it should still be convenient to operate on the water in that position.

Yep that's the spot I was referring to also :thumbsup:
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Thanks for the responses. I like the spot as shown above. I think that i will go with this and probably on the right hand side as I tend to troll with the rod pointing to the left (port). All i need now is some decent weather to get back on the water!
Mick
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

I too found this a difficult one to work out.
Behind the seat was good as I could reach the light to turn on/off but the flag flapping near my head gave me the shits and it sometime interfered with access to the rear storage area.
I ended up mounting it on the stern and just accept I'll use more batteries. Turn it on when launching and it stays on for an extra couple of hours when not needed.