Falling off the kayak with dry pants

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
leap
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Stealth 575

Falling off the kayak with dry pants

Post by leap »

Hi Guys,

After my freezing experience at Warrnambool, I decided to get myself dry pants. It then occurred to me, what if I fall off my kayak with the pants on. Do they end up holding water, I believe they do.

Has anyone had such an experience?

Cheers,
Leejo
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Falling off the kayak with dry pants

Post by choppers »

Which brand did you get leejo??
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Properly fitted they barely leak. In the water they are slightly bouyant if worn correctly (snug fit, hold waist band and squat to remove air) and shouldnt hinder your reentry in the slightest.

Others with a keyboard with more time will give a longer response but basically, worn properly for a short immersion they are pretty good.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

like most things there's older posts on here discussing this. Dry pants are a bit different to conventional waders with their tighter fit and waste band that's pulled tight. When swimming in them the water pressure pushes them against the skin and they hold very little if any air. I will usually end up with damp track suit pants (worn under) at the top but overall there's not a lot of water that gets in if they're done up tight against the skin.
0408 565 763
leap
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by leap »

choppers wrote:Which brand did you get leejo??
got it from SL Hobie. http://slhobie.com.au/gear/kayak-access ... -dry-pants
leap
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by leap »

thanks for the reply Winder Walker and Shane :up: . I once saw a video of a guy falling in with waders. It did not look good. So, I wanted to confirm.
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

I got Kokatats from SLH as the Lovigs were too tight, simply could not get them past my waist, it's a pity as I liked the heavier build of the Lovigs.
leap
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by leap »

bunyip wrote:I got Kokatats from SLH as the Lovigs were too tight, simply could not get them past my waist, it's a pity as I liked the heavier build of the Lovigs.
I ended up with the large, it's got enough room for me to move around. Haven't tested it on the water yet. My not have been a wise idea, now that we are heading into warmer weather :? .

Kokatats seem to be the market leader in dry wear.
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

leap wrote:
bunyip wrote:I got Kokatats from SLH as the Lovigs were too tight, simply could not get them past my waist, it's a pity as I liked the heavier build of the Lovigs.
I ended up with the large, it's got enough room for me to move around. Haven't tested it on the water yet. My not have been a wise idea, now that we are heading into warmer weather :? .

Kokatats seem to be the market leader in dry wear.
I still wear my kokatats a lot in summer, they are cooler than you'd expect and they save your legs from sunburn.

Enjoy your purchase :up:
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

leejo I used lovig pants on the surf day and with a few swimming events did get some water in them but I was swimming in the surf a couple of times catching my kayak
much longer in the water than if I was just remounting the yak due to a fall

I did put a belt around the top of the dry pants like I would for waders figuring I would take a dip -- even with some water in the feet section I still would have been able to remount the yak with out any problems
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657