Falling off the kayak with dry pants

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
mobydick
kayak: proangler 12

Re: Falling off the kayak with dry pants

Post by mobydick »

"Dry" pants can be very dangerous. Last year I took the PA out in what seemed to be very small surf near Lorne (something that I have done many times before). As I was heading out a large wave appeared and the kayak capsized. No big deal I thought as no stranger to this (PA's do NOT handle surf well - especially when heading in). However to cut a long and embarrassing story short after the 3rd or 4th capsize I was caught in a strong rip and could not get back in the yak. The expensive dry pants at this stage had filled with water and were starting to drag me under. I was very close to exhaustion and to save myself I had to remove them and let them drift away. Fortunately someone on the shore saw I was in trouble and came to my rescue!

Let me repeat "Dry" pants are NOT safe!
The only safe way to stay dry is with a dry suit (which I have since purchased)
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

mobydick wrote:"Dry" pants can be very dangerous. Last year I took the PA out in what seemed to be very small surf near Lorne (something that I have done many times before). As I was heading out a large wave appeared and the kayak capsized. No big deal I thought as no stranger to this (PA's do NOT handle surf well - especially when heading in). However to cut a long and embarrassing story short after the 3rd or 4th capsize I was caught in a strong rip and could not get back in the yak. The expensive dry pants at this stage had filled with water and were starting to drag me under. I was very close to exhaustion and to save myself I had to remove them and let them drift away. Fortunately someone on the shore saw I was in trouble and came to my rescue!

first I think dry pants should be treated a bit like waders both keep you dry but both can fill with water - the last surf day at inverlock I wore some Lovigs and used a wading belt like I would with waders
I did a bit of swimming as you do on these days and did get some water in them but nowhere near enough that I wouldn't be able to remount the kayak

finally I don't know which was more dangerous wearing dry pants or taking a PA through a surf zone that had you capsizing 3 or 4 times -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

If doing a session of just training in the surf I would suggest you use a wet or dry suit instead of dry pants as surf sessions have you in the water more often than not. If in a regular yak fishing scinario where it is unlikely you'll spend much time in the water then I'd suggest going with the dry pants, as even in the case of a quick dip they won't fill up enouh to stop you from remounting - nothing wrong with using a wet or drysuit for yak fishing though, but it is not quite as comfortable and can be a bit hot in summer.

Glad to hear you got out ok
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

mobydick wrote:"Dry" pants can be very dangerous. Last year I took the PA out in what seemed to be very small surf near Lorne (something that I have done many times before). As I was heading out a large wave appeared and the kayak capsized. No big deal I thought as no stranger to this (PA's do NOT handle surf well - especially when heading in). However to cut a long and embarrassing story short after the 3rd or 4th capsize I was caught in a strong rip and could not get back in the yak. The expensive dry pants at this stage had filled with water and were starting to drag me under. I was very close to exhaustion and to save myself I had to remove them and let them drift away. Fortunately someone on the shore saw I was in trouble and came to my rescue!

That doesn't sound like a pleasant experience but I'm glad you got through it OK. Taking a PA through the surf zone requires specific technique and understanding of its limitations (especially the PA12). It sounds like you've done it a few times but it doesn't necessarily mean you're doing it as safely as you could. The fact it you couldn't remount after 3 or 4 goes is a major concern. If you're trying to remount over the side in surf you're probably asking for trouble. Best to remount through the rear (make sure you keep a clear path) and if that's too hard you can just hang off the rear being supported by the yak and ride the waves back into the beach (the safest way to return in surf anyway). You shouldn't be spending any length of time swimming trying to remount, dry pants or not. When a PA gets tipped in surf there will often be a lot of water in the hull and while it's possible to remount you're often better off taking it back in, draining it out and going again fresh.

It sounds like there's still a bit you could learn about doing this with a higher degree of safety. I suggest you look out for a surf training day and come along to learn how some others go about it and practice in a more controlled environment. Otherwise I'd suggest steering clear of the surf.
0408 565 763
mobydick
kayak: proangler 12

Post by mobydick »

Another lesson in safety. There was a stupid (on my part) chain of events which led to this dangerous position. Not only didn't read the conditions correctly (the rip was the biggest problem) but failed to check that everything was secured - the seat came off. Not easy to control a PA without a seat in the shore break. Dumb dumb dumb!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Put an elastic strap between the two tab ends that will ensure they dont come loose under any conditions. Needs to be elastic not rigid ties, otherwise it puts too much strain on back waistband. Existing velcro weakens with use.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:It sounds like there's still a bit you could learn about doing this with a higher degree of safety. I suggest you look out for a surf training day and come along to learn how some others go about it and practice in a more controlled environment. Otherwise I'd suggest steering clear of the surf.
this is a good idea - we will have another surf practice day in the near future not last one but the time before Shane came along and really he is probably the most experienced guy around for taking these big boats through surf - he gave some pointers to the PA guys that attended

this doesn't mean he doesn't fall in ether but he has got his plans sorted very well as a PA is not the easiest beast in the surf zone

so keep an eye of for another surf day
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I have a 1mm wetsuit top that I wear under everything else, except during summer, but then the dry pants are not on then either. The wetsuit top goes well past the top of the Lovig pants and overlaps the pants by around 15cm. It forms an almost waterproof seal. It may be cheaper to buy a wetsuit top than a new wetsuit, and keep using the dry pants.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

maverick wrote:I have a 1mm wetsuit top that I wear under everything else, except during summer, but then the dry pants are not on then either. The wetsuit top goes well past the top of the Lovig pants and overlaps the pants by around 15cm. It forms an almost waterproof seal. It may be cheaper to buy a wetsuit top than a new wetsuit, and keep using the dry pants.
I use a front zip wetsuit top too, a 2mm one, mainly to reduce exposure if you do get wet. You do get wet with sweat though, wont notice on water but do have to dry down on shore. May not use it in summer
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

shane wrote:like most things there's older posts on here discussing this. Dry pants are a bit different to conventional waders with their tighter fit and waste band that's pulled tight. When swimming in them the water pressure pushes them against the skin and they hold very little if any air. I will usually end up with damp track suit pants (worn under) at the top but overall there's not a lot of water that gets in if they're done up tight against the skin.

And tight against the skin is the key. I have seen many yakkers with them on over all manner of garments. The latex needs be in contact with the skin and the supplied velcro is plenty tight.

Also MUST get as much air out before sealing, fully.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...