Flathead and Snapper on SP's Advice

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Flathead and Snapper on SP's Advice

Post by Magpie_Mick »

I am new to the use of soft plastics and as such was after some suggestions as to jig sizes (weight/hook size) suitable for catching Flathead and Snapper from my yak. :?: Not trying to catch big snapper just something pan size for now would be great.

Also any recommendations in terms of the SP types and sizes that people find effective (taking into account above).

Thanks for your help.

Mick
Munroe
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 14, 420 Renegade

Re: Flathead and Snapper on SP's Advice

Post by Munroe »

Magpie_Mick wrote:I am new to the use of soft plastics and as such was after some suggestions as to jig sizes (weight/hook size) suitable for catching Flathead and Snapper from my yak. :?: Not trying to catch big snapper just something pan size for now would be great.

Also any recommendations in terms of the SP types and sizes that people find effective (taking into account above).

Thanks for your help.

Mick
Affiliated.........
2/0 hook size is for starters.... a great range of Jigheads that wont break the bank can be sourced over at the Jigman australia site. Depending on your drift speed and depth, 1/4oz to 1/8oz for flathead . 5 meters and below. 1/8oz to a 3/32oz for snapper. Jig weights mentioned are a good start.

Plastics, you are always welcome to check the links in my signature. Curltail worms are a goer for the the Pinkies and the larger reds, worked slow and light, ZipTails and Minnows are a treat with the flatskulls..... If you do wish to add to cart, make sure to PM me here before you do. ;) Otherwise, you have your gulp 4" Minnows and minnow grubs or the Zmans.
Munroe
http://www.munroessoftplastics.com.au
PB snapper-83cm Flathead-68cm, Dusky Flathead-80cm,EP-39cm Bream- 38cm,Tailor-58cm, Mulloway-85cm
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

I usually use zmans, basically pick a plastic between 3 and 7 inches in their range and the snapper will take it, personally I prefer the paddle tail plastics but have had good catches on the curl tails and jerk shads. The gulps do work but i find they are more of a hassle than anything especially when those little pinkies are out and about as you end up replacing the plastic every other cast. The gulp nemesis profile is amazing and I'm just hoping they do the larger size in the powerbait range as it's action is incredible.
For hook size match it to the plastic I usually try to have the hook point coming out between 1/2 way and 3/4 of the way back down the plastic, tt headlockz are good for zmans but for gulps something like the squidgie ball is better as it doesn't have the large keeper that decimates the gulp.
The jighead weight is where things get a little tricky, basically you want the plastic to drift down slowly but still reach the bottom. I use anywhere from 1/12 to 1/2 oz depending on conditions but 1/8, 1/6 and 1/4 are good all rounders. The deeper the water, larger the plastic (especially zmans as they are buoyant) and faster the drift ( or current when anchored) the heavier your jighead should be. You learn pretty quickly what jighead to use in what conditions and eventually it becomes nature.

Cheers Alex
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Thanks Guys. Most helpful.

Mick