Sounder question?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
SMCK001
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie - Outback and a Wavedance - cascade

Sounder question?

Post by SMCK001 »

I have a lowrance elite 4x sounder and am not the best at using it. Is this what im looking for? Photo was taken at rickets point yesterday arvo. Its probably the most ive seen on the sounder. Thanks in advance
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Sounder question?

Post by shane »

That's generally what you're looking for. However it looks like your sensitivity may be a bit low. For PPB I'd suggest adjusting sensitivity to auto and around -4% to 0. You should see a little bit of clutter in the water column and the marks should come out more distinct with colour variation showing density.
0408 565 763
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

A trick I use to adjust the sensitivity is to drop a 4-5 inch soft plastic under the kayak at the depth I expect to find the target species and adjust the sensitivity until I get a nice balance between being able to see the lure and not having too much clutter. It gives me a sense of relative scale especially when sometimes you'll see a fish hit the plastic on the sounder. Once you have it set up right you can actually mark fish feeding up the water column as you watch the burley float down.
SMCK001
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie - Outback and a Wavedance - cascade

Post by SMCK001 »

Thanks for the help guys ill give adjusting the sensitivity a go and see what happens.