Cape Woolamai/Cleeland Bight Fishing Tips for a Beginner

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Cape Woolamai/Cleeland Bight Fishing Tips for a Beginner

Post by Magpie_Mick »

I am staying at Cape Woolamai next week and as I am new to Kayak fishing I am after a some beginners tips for fishing in the area. Where should a beginner launch from/start fishing and where should I avoid (from a safety perspective)?

Any suggestions for what species to target and what techniques would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Mick
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Cape Woolamai/Cleeland Bight Fishing Tips for a Beginner

Post by cheaterparts »

Magpie_Mick wrote:I am staying at Cape Woolamai next week and as I am new to Kayak fishing I am after a some beginners tips for fishing in the area. Where should a beginner launch from/start fishing and where should I avoid (from a safety perspective)?

Any suggestions for what species to target and what techniques would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Mick
Mick there are a couple of launches in Cleeland bight first off the end of cottosloe ave and the other off old bridge rd

theres a bit of tide flow in close to the channel - squid - whiting - and other species can be found in the area as can couta and pike

so you have options - bait fish - troll lures or give the squid a go
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Watch out for the standing waves near the red marker on an out going tide, they can be a bit hectic but there is gap between them and the land you can sneak through to get down to Red Point. You'll see them coming from a long way off and aren't really a hazard unless you accidentally drift into them or something.

The beach just before Red Point is the last place you can land and have a pit stop if you're going to explore around the cape too. Worth keeping in mind, not that I'd recommend going past Red Point if you're new to kayaking.

The seagrass there will eat your squid jigs for breakfast so maybe use a heavier line so you can rip them out if you get snagged.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

You will find the best squid grounds between the red marker and red rocks point, try in 3-5 metres. As Ian said be careful going past the red marker as the tide can cause some turbulence here at times. Also look out for the sand bank out in the middle, waves are usually breaking here but a bigger set could catch you unawares if you get too close.

I would leave going out the entrance past red rocks till you have more confidence. Once you do the small bays past here are good to explore, as are the bays around the Cape but pick a day with small swell (<1m) to head around. Willy Weather for Black Beach will give you an idea of wind and swell conditions for the area. There are also launches over on the San Remo side that can be more convenient depending on where you're coming from and going to.
0408 565 763
Magpie_Mick

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Loaded the Navionics app on my phone with its 2 week free trial so found the red marker. Thanks for the guidance. Most helpful. :thumbsup:

In terms of trolling can you give me a couple of example lures that you have success with? Also how far back from the yak do you run them?

Thanks
Mick
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I've caught a lot of pike and a couple of couta on a silver Tsunami Super Pro minnow from Kmart, I reckon salmon would smash it as well. Won't break the bank if something toothy bites it off either.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Berkley frenzy 9 or 10cm deep diver in black/silver. One of the best lures for couta, pike and salmon and won't break the bank either. Consider changing out the trebles for stronger ones or even better go to singles. Cast it about 15-30m back and troll around 4km/h or enough to get the rod tip moving nicely. When the rod tip stops wobbling you've fouled with weed, which can happen pretty often in WP. This sort of lure is also good for bouncing around the shallow sandy areas near the middle for flathead.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

I would really suggest on your first solo trip, make it on a run in tide, so if it all goes pear shaped, you wash into the bay and not out of it into the ocean.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

With all the rain and wind this week (and predicted naff weather into this weekend) the water will be very dirty and weedy.

Best times to fish would be around high-tide (this pushes most of the dirty water and weed back up into the bay).

I might be down there next week (if the weather brightens up), so might see you down at the beach.

Mike.
Magpie_Mick

Post by Magpie_Mick »

The high tides are in the early PM next week (or the middle of the night).

It would be good to catch up with you Mike.
Regards,
Mick