Pvc bunk for transporting ai upright?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Red Ai and a tinny.

Re: Pvc bunk for transporting ai upright?

Post by Nello »

I've got some galv pipe left over from an old trampoline frame (love old trampolines!)
Thinking I might give it a go with this as although not as light as aluminium, it should have the same results. Then maybe cover this with marine carpet or rubber if it works out well.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Alloy pipe should cost you about $50 if you buy from ullrich or similiar. I use it at work and honestly its cheaper then people first think
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

Wind Waker wrote:Alloy pipe should cost you about $50 if you buy from ullrich or similiar. I use it at work and honestly its cheaper then people first think
that's a lot better than what i thought, thanks.
I'm thinking if i have enough of the galv pipe ill give it a go with that, like a trial, and if it works well then ill go up to alloy for something more permanent and durable
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

Here are some pics of the set up I find best for carrying a revo13 upright. Is just some pipe with tabs welded to secure to crossbars. Covered in pool noodle with a boat roller at the rear. Is heaps quicker to load and unload than any other method I have used. Steel cost about $40 by memory and $20ish for the roller.

Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

isportfish wrote:Here are some pics of the set up I find best for carrying a revo13 upright. Is just some pipe with tabs welded to secure to crossbars. Covered in pool noodle with a boat roller at the rear. Is heaps quicker to load and unload than any other method I have used. Steel cost about $40 by memory and $20ish for the roller.

Nice looking setup, that's sorta what I'm hoping to achieve for mine.
Have you have any issues with the setup at all?
isportfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Revo

Post by isportfish »

Nello wrote: Nice looking setup, that's sorta what I'm hoping to achieve for mine.
Have you have any issues with the setup at all?
No issues with it. I have the same cross bars on my 4wd so move it between the cars as required. The pool noodle will degrade eventually so replaced earlier this year. Have been transporting like this for over 2 years. When on holidays with the family we place a kids kayak straight on top of the revo and then an adults bike attached to the cross bars, PVC tube for fishing rods, shovel etc.
Nello
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by Nello »

That's good to hear, nice work :thumbsup:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you are only using two roof bars, how is the weight distribution going to spread out? Remember it is a 16 foot yak. my problem was the mid point was on front bar, so that took all the weight. Being rail mounts rather than gutter mounts it caused roof panel to flex and pop.

A 16 foot yak is a lot harder to balance evenly on the roof than a 13 foot yak, without sticking way out the back. Cant remember the car you have.