What Sounder?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
SamOgden
Apprentice
kayak: Hobie Outback

What Sounder?

Post by SamOgden »

Hey guys, Im new here and I've recently purchased a Hobie Outback and i was wondering if anyone could please give me some reccomendations on a good sounder below $300? having a bit of a hard time figuring out which one to get because i don't really understand much about them. can't wait to get the yak decked out and take it out on its first trip and share it with you guys! Cheers Sam
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: What Sounder?

Post by Yako »

$300 will limit your choices for new unless a smaller screen.
What size screen are you comfortable with 3" 4", 5" etc
My first finder was a 5" black n white Navman second hand $45 very basic single frequency but got me onto fish.
Where do you want to use it bay, rivers, lakes for structure etc
If you're ok with 3" or 4", Lowrance have a few options.
Hop onto YouTube and check out a few basic videos on sounders.
John 3.16/17
SamOgden
Apprentice

Post by SamOgden »

Yako wrote:$300 will limit your choices for new unless a smaller screen.
What size screen are you comfortable with 3" 4", 5" etc
My first finder was a 5" black n white Navman second hand $45 very basic single frequency but got me onto fish.
Where do you want to use it bay, rivers, lakes for structure etc
If you're ok with 3" or 4", Lowrance have a few options.
Hop onto YouTube and check out a few basic videos on sounders.
4 or 5" most likely mate. use will be for bays, estuaries and lakes mainly.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

In 4" you will find a few sonar/DV/CHIRP only models below $300. The Lowrance Elite 4 CHIRP combo gps is on special for less than $300 at some outlets (no map) or a bit over $300 with a Navionics Gold map (recommended). For a little more you get the newer the Hook 4 CHIRP for a bit over $300 but costs a lot more with map. Lowrance 4x models will be well within your price range but no GPS. Garmin have a few peoducts in that range including the newer Striker series that include a very masic gps tracking function. Raymarine 4" may be just outside your price range excluding maps.

Check out sites like CH Smith, Whitworths for the range and prices. This is what I have and is a good price if they still have any ($329 with map): http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Lowr ... otter.html
0408 565 763
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

I'm about to yank mine to upgrade and will be for sale next week. 18 month old lowrance elite 4 with gps, navionics, ran mount and adaptor ($50 on its own) and a screen cover (about $20). In perfect condition. Feel free to make an offer (or not) via pm.

At your price point, the Elite 4 is ideal but remember to allow a bit extra for a mount, charger and a battery.

EDIT - sold to another member, gee you blokes are quick!!
Last edited by Wind Waker on 21 Jul 2016, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

shane wrote: Check out sites like CH Smith, Whitworths for the range and prices. This is what I have and is a good price if they still have any ($329 with map): http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Lowr ... otter.html
$329 with map is a good price for new. Whitworths is $399.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... search123=

If you don't mind second hand check out wind waker's but as he said remember battery, leads, battery box/casing to keep water out and possibly a mount for the unit.
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yako wrote: $329 with map is a good price for new. Whitworths is $399.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... search123=
The one Yako linked is the newer Hook unit. CH Smith and probably others have it at the same price as Whitworths including map. The one I linked is the previous Elite 4 CHIRP model that's been superseded by the Hook, but appears to be essentially the same unit. I believe CH Smith bought up a lot of the remaining Elite 4 CHIRP stock so are selling them at a bit of a discount. But if minimum cost was a priority then secondhand may be an option. One thing to look out for with these units is that they are prone to water intrusion despite their IP rating. Waterproofing the card slot is important as well as keeping it in a dry location to avoid condensation building up inside the screen (that's where warranty is a worthy consideration).

A key consideration is do you want gps and maps included or just a sounder. Personally I would always recommend stretching to get GPS and maps (Navionics) as they add a whole other dimension to your fishing ability. DSI is also useful, mainly in fresh water and CHIRP also handy but these are no as valuable as having maps and gps included.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish

Post by Yako »

shane wrote: [q

A key consideration is do you want gps and maps included or just a sounder. Personally I would always recommend stretching to get GPS and maps (Navionics) as they add a whole other dimension to your fishing ability. DSI is also useful, mainly in fresh water and CHIRP also handy but these are no as valuable as having maps and gps included.
[/quote]

Initially for me in PPB my Navman was fine but as i got more experience and started fishing further out, middle of the night etc I needed the GPS.
I have also found in the early days when I'd get caught in the current or tidal flow I sometimes thought I was going backwards and when your far out with no reference points the gps shows you your heading and speed.
Some blokes who do Mountain Biking have a small Handheld unit they can put in the yak. I had thought about that but my gps on my phone works fine in the bush, but in the bay/sea etc it's not so easy and when your hands are wet they aren't so easy to use.
My personal experience in the end and I'm much happier and confident is with the finder with GPS which also tracks your path from start to finish and you can mark good fishing spots for another day.
John 3.16/17
SamOgden
Apprentice

Post by SamOgden »

Wind Waker wrote:I'm about to yank mine to upgrade and will be for sale next week. 18 month old lowrance elite 4 with gps, navionics, ran mount and adaptor ($50 on its own) and a screen cover (about $20). In perfect condition. Feel free to make an offer (or not) via pm.

At your price point, the Elite 4 is ideal but remember to allow a bit extra for a mount, charger and a battery.
PM sent mate :up:
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Post by Jordo »

I've just changed to a garmin striker 4dv for $180. It has 77hz, 200hz, 77hz chirp, 200hz chirp, 455chirpdv and 800chirpdv. The traditional sonar is exceptional. It also has gps (but is not chart compatible). To get around the lack of charts Ive just been keying in marks of channels and drop-offs before I head out and can resort to using navionics on my phone (costs $20) but havent needed to so far.
wish I got some pics of the sounder images yesterday, there were some really nice soundings of bait balls and schools of couta. Also some good down veiw images showing weed and rocks. Another plus is that in 8 hours it drained less than half of my 7Ah battery. If you want to come in well under the budget then this ff is a gem.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.