Balnarring Saturday arvo

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
nebben838
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback (seagrass green)

Balnarring Saturday arvo

Post by nebben838 »

Hey guys,
As I'm still new to the kayak scene I'm after some advice on fishing Balnarring ish...tomorrow arvo, I think high tide is around 1pm, winds a low an NW. Any tips on we're to launch what depths to fish. I'm not after any species in particular just hoping to catch any thing.

Cheers,
Ben.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Balnarring Saturday arvo

Post by shane »

Best launch will be from the carpark at the end of Masonsmith Rd. Conditions should be very good for Saturday arvo/evening.

You will find there is a lot of heavy weed in close which can make bait fishing frustrating and cause a lot of snags with the swell. There are sand patches if you can find/see them that are better to fish in. I generally head about 2km a few degrees east of south from launch where the weed breaks down to large sandy areas that produce very well. However you should still find productive areas in closer, especially if you go a few hundred metres out. Trolling around small HB's should also produce snook and couta.
0408 565 763
nebben838

Post by nebben838 »

Thanks Shane
nebben838

Post by nebben838 »

Something I forgot to ask is if it's very weedy is ok for drift fishing as don't have an anchor yet? Or should I head somewhere else less weedy?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

nebben838 wrote:Something I forgot to ask is if it's very weedy is ok for drift fishing as don't have an anchor yet? Or should I head somewhere else less weedy?
weed and tide flow are not places to be drifting - pretty sure you will catch the bottom more than fish with out an anchor at Balnarring
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
nebben838

Post by nebben838 »

Best I go get an anchor then...I have the rope already just need the anchor. What weight do you guys recommend 1.5kg?
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Anchor for there personally I'd go 2.5kg with at least .5m 10mm chain (some bloke's go 1m chain).
John 3.16/17
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

...cooper anchor... the red or the blue. Awesome little beast!!

*stiring the pot*

(I actually have both. Use the cooper on all things sand and mud, the grapnel on reef)
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

nebben838 wrote:Best I go get an anchor then...I have the rope already just need the anchor. What weight do you guys recommend 1.5kg?
for most of your fishing a 1.5 kg folding anchor will do you well - add a little chain up along the rope

tie off to the bottom of the anchor and zip tie the top with a light cable tie -- this is a great all round anchor for ether bay
and I use 60 meters of 3 mm rope ( from bunnings )

it's what I use for most of my fishing in Westernport and PPB -- I have a 2.5 kg anchor with chain for fishing higher tide flow areas - note these are less comfortable places to fish if you are starting out

so stick with the 1.5 kg anchor it will do you well
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

1.5kg will do OK in todays conditions. However if you want to fish Balnarring in more wind or bigger swell then I recommend getting a 2.5kg anchor as it will hold more often. Also a longer heavy chain of 1m+ particularly for areas with some swell.
0408 565 763