Duct Seal Putty

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Harps
Apprentice
kayak: 9 ft

Duct Seal Putty

Post by Harps »

Hey guys,

The folks in the states talk about duct seal putty for mounting transducers in-hull. A good of the local yak sites here suggest it is hard to find. I went to bunnings and masters today, they had not idea.I have also left a message with a mate that is an electrician.

Anyone know if this stuff is available in Oz?

Cheers
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: Duct Seal Putty

Post by Wind Waker »

Anything like butyl mastic strip caulk? Got that stuff at work by the bucket load. Bostick brand from memory if that helps?
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

have a chat to marine dealers and look for "Goop" for the job
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Not really used in Oz. Its for plugging service penetrations in firewalls.

If you want a wet mount try gooping a bottomless food container to hull. I have a sistema container with transducer bolted to underside of lid on the quest 11.. only have to top container up occasionally and i transport inverted on roof. On the quest 13 i have a high density sealing foam well (from Clarks) This is then wedged down onto bottom with foam bock between that and underside of hull, no goop or silicone. Squirt some water in there and I dont have any problems with it letting go, and can just pull transducer out if I want to. Install at low point in hull. So if any leakage it ponds at that point.

Trying to silicone down foam wells is a pain it lets go eventually
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Shoo Goo from Rebel Sport or Marine Goop from Hobie dealers, both the same product in the tube.

In the Oasis I have a Sistema container with the bottom cut out and gooped to the hull, its 3-4 years on and still going strong.
Hobie wiring plug for the cable entry, just fill with water when needed.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

bjspinner wrote:Shoo Goo from Rebel Sport or Marine Goop from Hobie dealers, both the same product in the tube.
Now that I didn't know
Harps
Apprentice

Post by Harps »

Thanks all for the responses.
Wind Waker wrote:Anything like butyl mastic strip caulk? Got that stuff at work by the bucket load. Bostick brand from memory if that helps?
I believe that this dries hard.
laneends wrote:Not really used in Oz. Its for plugging service penetrations in firewalls.
Amongst other things. I have found a fire rated sealant that appears close to duct seal putty.
bjspinner wrote:Shoo Goo from Rebel Sport or Marine Goop from Hobie dealers, both the same product in the tube.
A quick google and these are different to duct seal. They are required to cure.

Duct Seal Putty is permanently malleable. I find it strange that it is common in the US and not known here. I wonder if it is due to not meeting an Australian building standard. I have a electrician mate investigating this for me also.

From ebay, $12, + $28 delivery from the US.

I might just stick with Silicone. I was liking the idea of flexibility. I am likely going to have limited time to do the install and was thus wanting a quick install.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

Butyl mastic tape stays soft and pliable for about 10 years depending on uv exposure. Closer to 15 years where uv is limited. Its pretty firm though before you massage it to soften
Harps
Apprentice

Post by Harps »

Wind Waker wrote:Butyl mastic tape stays soft and pliable for about 10 years depending on uv exposure. Closer to 15 years where uv is limited. Its pretty firm though before you massage it to soften
Thanks mate, I see that it is non drying. That's an option. How easily is it removed? It says it sticks to almost any surface ? For example if you want to move the transducer around?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

Very easy to remove. Residue comes off with turps.
I have no idea if its the same but its cheap and might work