Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Post by laneends »

Harps wrote:Wow, thanks for all the quality replies. There is a unanimous view that dry pants are the way to go. I will invest in such a pair. I am keen to continue fishing in winter. I do however feel the cold. Wet and cold is the worst.

Shane, 3 layers of long sleeves? That is interesting. If it keeps you warm, it is worth it. Similar to hiking perhaps, base layer, mid layer and outer shelf.

As for the fingers. You do need to keep all your "end points" warm. I do a bit of hiking and are able to wear gloves when cold.

Emu oil sounds like an option. How many use fingerless gloves? They are good for feel, but obviously not as warm as full gloves. I live lure fishing, so a little concerned about how cold my fingers will get. I know, i know, i am a bit of a wimp.

I also like the idea of carrying a quality quick dry towel. I will pack one for the next trip.

What sort of shoes do you wear over the dry pants once in the yak? I have a peddle yak. Do they change your required shoe size much?

Thanks again, i will definitely get some dry pants.
re shoe size over dry pants, usually one size bigger. Some use cheap/old runners, some crocs, some booties. Bottom line is they need to be free draining. hey are for grip and to protect wet pants socks. If you fish fresh then you are likely to step on wet rocks, gravel, river banks etc..So runners, something with grip is probably best.

My gloves are bike gloves. These have good grip for paddle and can withstand dunking. For winter if you can find a jacket with neoprene cuffs this helps (think snowboarding brands) With mine the neoprene part covers hand with thumbhole, to give extra warmth

For a hat I have one of these, many asian gift shops are selling these for about $5. Very warm and you can just lower as neck warmer when you get hot. Wear regular cap on top
http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1aRNmIXXX ... t-font.jpg
Harps
Apprentice
kayak: 9 ft

Post by Harps »

Thanks Laneends, should I assume your bike clothes are fingerless?

I will also check out one of those beenie/hoodie things. I have a buff which helps, but doesn't look as warm as what you suggest.

I will report back on how I go this weekend in the "cold". I just have to remember to vote also.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Harps wrote:Thanks Laneends, should I assume your bike clothes are fingerless?

I will also check out one of those beenie/hoodie things. I have a buff which helps, but doesn't look as warm as what you suggest.

I will report back on how I go this weekend in the "cold". I just have to remember to vote also.
My bike gloves are fingerless on thumb and middle+index finger. Other two are full finger. which is ideal but not common.

Best options for nagambie at current conditions would be weir launch from curzons lane if no wind and drift casting to timber, or if windy kirwins picnic, heading either direction slow trolling shoulder edges with stump jumpers. A sounder makes all the difference especially if trolling, as depth varies enormously. Main hannel is about 10m and edges 2-5m. Current is minimal through this section
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

most of the year l just wear shorts, as long as my top is warm the rest seems to be,l have dry pants, and only seem to wear them when its raining,rest of the time its track pants and socks on really cold days, notice Lobo[Richard] does the same.
good thing about the PA you never seem to get wet. :wtf:
Harps
Apprentice

Post by Harps »

So went out today. Got myself some dry pants. Have to admit they are a pretty cool piece of gear. Launching the yak is great. No need to worry about cold and wet feet.

While today wasn't that cold, with your advice I was able to fish without worrying about the cold. Actually I was warm.

Life is good when you get to burn around in a yak..
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

westy wrote:most of the year l just wear shorts, as long as my top is warm the rest seems to be,l have dry pants, and only seem to wear them when its raining,rest of the time its track pants and socks on really cold days, notice Lobo[Richard] does the same.
good thing about the PA you never seem to get wet. :wtf:
I have some waterproof trousers to keep winter winds off the legs, but apart from the cheapo croc-clones I wear, my feet are bare all year round. It can feel a bit chilly at times, but I just think of it as character-building. :-)

I've always thought Lobo went barefoot too...

Mike.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Harps wrote:So went out today. Got myself some dry pants. Have to admit they are a pretty cool piece of gear. Launching the yak is great. No need to worry about cold and wet feet.

While today wasn't that cold, with your advice I was able to fish without worrying about the cold. Actually I was warm.

Life is good when you get to burn around in a yak..
Sound like you took the right advice & got drypants.
I used to wear kayak dry pants without socks and also wear wetsuit diving boots on my feet but found when I swung my feet over the gunnels after launching that the water would run down the inside of the pants and I would end up with a wet bum.
Recently got myself the Lovig drypants with sock & havent looked back.
I wear them with crocs.
Next investment may be a pair of knee high neoprene boots. (I have been looking at NRX or NEO brand)
Last edited by Jacko on 03 Jul 2016, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Harps
Apprentice

Post by Harps »

I was at my local shop on Friday and noticed that they had kayak ggloves made out of that wetsuit material. These were full finger aand quite flexible. Not sure if these were for fishing I mind, but may do the job of keeping end points warm.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Harps wrote:I was at my local shop on Friday and noticed that they had kayak ggloves made out of that wetsuit material. These were full finger aand quite flexible. Not sure if these were for fishing I mind, but may do the job of keeping end points warm.
I have a pair of neoprene (wetsuit material 2 to 3mm) gloves for SCUBA diving (cray grabbing).
I often throw them in when I pack to go on a fishing trip but I am yet to wear them while kayak fishing.
deepee
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Papaya Orange 2023 Hobie Outback

Post by deepee »

Jacko wrote:
Harps wrote:I was at my local shop on Friday and noticed that they had kayak ggloves made out of that wetsuit material. These were full finger aand quite flexible. Not sure if these were for fishing I mind, but may do the job of keeping end points warm.
I have a pair of neoprene (wetsuit material 2 to 3mm) gloves for SCUBA diving (cray grabbing).
I often throw them in when I pack to go on a fishing trip but I am yet to wear them while kayak fishing.

I always wear gloves when kayaking.... Light ones in summer and the neoprene version in winter. Good for comfort and also protection from sun in summer and cold in winter. Besides those nasty flathead spikes are often nullified to some extent if wearing gloves.