Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Mkaos
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Re: Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Post by Mkaos »

Hi there I am a winter fisho new to the kayak scene I have bought my self most my gear from SLH hobie in Mornington I wear a thermal benie and neck warmer thermal pants and long sleeve top a wind proof zipped jacket neoprene gloves and lovig waterproof breathable spray jacket and full waterproof Lovig dry pants and I use neoprene boots zipped above the pants with thermal socks and thick outdoor socks as well all needed to fish stay dry in cold winter early starts if you get the layers right it makes a difference keeping the warmth within.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Harps wrote:Hey guys,

I have a double banger question. How do you guys launch your yak while keeping your feet dry? I read about wetsuit boots, launching socks and dry pants. I read on this forum that dry pants make winter fishing "normal" so to speak. The only issue, they are pretty expensive.

My biggest concern is being able to get into my yak dry. I do mostly fresh water fishing, so once I am in, i usually dont get too wet.

Secondly, what are some helpful tips for winter fishing? In terms of not freezing said parts off. I try the usual things such as thermals and wind proofing. Fingers still get pretty cold and my feet. Yes, I am a bit of a wimp. :)

Thanks
the more you fish in cooler weather the cheaper good kayaking attire seams , there is nothing worse than than being cold at best it will shorten your trip

check out http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11394
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Unread post by Harps » 25 Jun 2016, 19:06
Hey guys,
I have a double banger question. How do you guys launch your yak while keeping your feet dry? I read about wetsuit boots, launching socks and dry pants. I read on this forum that dry pants make winter fishing "normal" so to speak. The only issue, they are pretty expensive.
My biggest concern is being able to get into my yak dry. I do mostly fresh water fishing, so once I am in, i usually dont get too wet.
Secondly, what are some helpful tips for winter fishing? In terms of not freezing said parts off. I try the usual things such as thermals and wind proofing. Fingers still get pretty cold and my feet. Yes, I am a bit of a wimp. :)

Hi Dave;

I bought the Lovig dry pants for the exact reasons of dryness and warmth.
The older I am getting, the colder I feel. That's life.
Layer up with polyprop clothing with a windproof jacket on top.
The dry pants are relatively expensive compared to some other alternatives (3/4 waders, gumboots, dive boots), but they are worth every cent!
Especially when you land a good one, and it ends up on your lap for hook extraction, photo etc.
However, I have still to master the way to keep my fingers warm once they get a dunking when releasing said bigun.
The backs of my hands sunburn very easily, so I always wear some sort of covering.
I've tried different types of fingerless alternatives, but once they get wet,(when it's cold that is) they just don't keep the fingers warm at all.
Even the Snowbee fishing gloves are useless once wet!
I have contemplated full length rubber gloves up to the arm pits, with thermals underneath. :yahoo:
A couple of times recently, my fingers cramped up with the arthritis, and the pain was excruciating.
But I didn't come in though. Having too much fun!

So, to sum up, I recommend the dry pants. But I have no idea about the fingers yet.

Erik
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Easy. Come fishing with me and catch nothing :)
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Re hands and cold fingers. This is going to sound sarky and smartass...that is not my intention at all

First....dont get your hands wet in the first place.
Second......purchase a proper boat size towel from one of the trekking shops...the crap available from BCFor Anaconda type outlets are crap. A good one that works well enough for old farts with arthritic fingers are not cheap but take up bugger all space and actually dry your body parts ........fast one wipe, no stuffing around but at $30- 60 they are hard to buy till you use one.

Next buy synthetic sun block gloves real light fabric with leather palm one size larger.

Before fishing rub 100% pure emu oil into your hands...gets to the joints and works like a barrier cream.

Now about keeping your hands dry....from net or fishgrip to a damp tea towel for fish and squid... dont get conned into swimming fish by hand...use the fish grip. Damp tea towel will protect slime barrier of released fish well enough AND only dampen parts of your hand.....quick wipe with the travel towel and hands + gloves are dry....takes a bit of practice.

If your hands do get wet the light synthetic palm glove ( buy a size larger) comes off easy and another light application of emu oil and BINGO....hold the towel firmly for a few moment to wick away excess water from your palm.

............IF thats too much like hard work......wet sore fingers are your reward for lazeyness.

Ps I have learned the hard way........been there done that!!

Cheers,

Andrew.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I understand a lot of the people using drypants are in Hobies with their higher seat position; how would they go for people in Prowlers and similar who sit in an inch of water for the entire trip? Does water get in if you sit in it for too long?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

Nope. Not as far as I am aware. I have used them walking up river sandflats and two hours later I'm still dry. Not standing for 2 hours in water but walking through water before standing ankle deep fishing. Seems to work well and I don't get smashed by sand flys
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote:I understand a lot of the people using drypants are in Hobies with their higher seat position; how would they go for people in Prowlers and similar who sit in an inch of water for the entire trip? Does water get in if you sit in it for too long?
Not too bad, main issue is if your jacket rides up and you get water running down your back. You may get a slight damp bum but far better than any alternative. The Adventure was a notorious puddle seat. In summer some of the dampness is sweat.

Best solution for me to resolve any dampness was to wear thermals, then change out of my pants into neoprene paddle shorts over thermals, under the dry pants. This adds extra padding, warmth and if you do get a damp bum paddle shorts are more comfy than your pants. Then when you get off water you put regular pants back on. As you have thermals on you are only changing outer wear its not like having to get fully changed.

I actually get a colder bum on vantage seat than I did sitting in a puddle as you get cooling effect of air flow. Puddle warms up.
Harps
Apprentice
kayak: 9 ft

Post by Harps »

Wow, thanks for all the quality replies. There is a unanimous view that dry pants are the way to go. I will invest in such a pair. I am keen to continue fishing in winter. I do however feel the cold. Wet and cold is the worst.

Shane, 3 layers of long sleeves? That is interesting. If it keeps you warm, it is worth it. Similar to hiking perhaps, base layer, mid layer and outer shelf.

As for the fingers. You do need to keep all your "end points" warm. I do a bit of hiking and are able to wear gloves when cold.

Emu oil sounds like an option. How many use fingerless gloves? They are good for feel, but obviously not as warm as full gloves. I live lure fishing, so a little concerned about how cold my fingers will get. I know, i know, i am a bit of a wimp.

I also like the idea of carrying a quality quick dry towel. I will pack one for the next trip.

What sort of shoes do you wear over the dry pants once in the yak? I have a peddle yak. Do they change your required shoe size much?

Thanks again, i will definitely get some dry pants.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

I wear lava core socks. Sometimes another pair of wool socks. Then the drys then a pair of crocs. I tend to remove the crocs till the shoes and pants are dry then put them back on to help with wind chill.

For hands, get some of these...

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/ ... ers-2-Pack

You can buy them in bulk as well