Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Harps
Apprentice
kayak: 9 ft

Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Post by Harps »

Hey guys,

I have a double banger question. How do you guys launch your yak while keeping your feet dry? I read about wetsuit boots, launching socks and dry pants. I read on this forum that dry pants make winter fishing "normal" so to speak. The only issue, they are pretty expensive.

My biggest concern is being able to get into my yak dry. I do mostly fresh water fishing, so once I am in, i usually dont get too wet.

Secondly, what are some helpful tips for winter fishing? In terms of not freezing said parts off. I try the usual things such as thermals and wind proofing. Fingers still get pretty cold and my feet. Yes, I am a bit of a wimp. :)

Thanks
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Launching and keeping dry / winter fishing

Post by shane »

The answer to your question ,as you probably already know is - Dry Pants. They may be expensive but they pay for themselves by the time you trial all the other alternatives and find that none of them work anywhere near as well. Once your feet are wet, you're cold and even dry feet, socks and boots are no match for socked feet in dry pants. Other than that its about wearing layers on top. For example I fished Wendouree this morning with -0.5C on arrival. I had 3 long sleeve layers on top plus an insulated jacket, scarf and hat (not to mention dry pants, trackies, socks and shoes) and was warm throughout.
0408 565 763
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Dry pants... and when the budget is there add a dry top. Nothing like it. Except for a dry suit but if you thinks pants are expensive...
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

This time of year you cant afford to skimp it, if you tip it is going to go from uncomfortable to dangerous very quickly.

if you really can't stretch it yet, then to save getting feet wet switch footwear once on board. eg pair of gum boots to launch then take them off and slip on some runners etc once under way. Gum boots are not advisable on a yak they make re entries even harder.

Fleece layers under a good windbreaker are best way of keeping warm. Thermals under spray pants. keep some warm clothes in car and dont go far.

I also use some bike gloves with thumb and two fingers open.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

And a head buff is worthwhile as well. Man it helps the ears. If the ears are warm, my toes seem warmer lol
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Dry pants are the way to go IMO, however not knowing what yak you have plays into the answer also.

I fish most of my time from the PA 12 but with my partner we have a Hobie Oasis ( tandem ) where you can have water around you in the well where you sit.
This adds considerable discomfort at this time of year. Noticing you have a 9ft yak you may be siting in water coming in through the scuppers.
This will make you colder all the time, we both wear the dry pants 80% of the time in the yak, yeah in summer they can warm up but sitting in water is not great.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Yep I asked and researched others ways but save time and money buy drypants. :thumbsup:
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

I bought kokatat pants early on and hated them so I bought a cheap set of thigh waders. That got me into the yak dry and they stowed ok. Pretty soon the novelty of changing in and out of waders wore off.........so I went back to the kokatats. Glad I did, last trip out was cold and windy, so cold that I really did need the warmth generated to be saved. Plus if I did go over chances are they would keep the water out, and the warmth in. Laneends thread on a winter dunking outlines issues with wet and cold......I feel strongly enough on this subject to say to you. If you cant afford the proper kayak dry pants and top just please dont yak fish in winter......a mishap could cost you a life.

Cheers

Andrew
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I think I'm just beating a dead horse here but I also think drypants are the best way to go. I would say that they're probably one of the best investments I've made since getting into kayak fishing. As with others I wear mine most of the year even in summer if I'm fishing early in the morning.

The best way to keep warm in winter is to dress in layers. I wear thermal pants, top and socks as a base layer, then I wear a pair of trackies and a shirt over the top then my dry pants, a jacket, neoprene boots, a beanie and a merino buff. That keeps me warm and dry in winter.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish

Post by Wind Waker »

Dont forget to check out the SLhobie dry pants. They are almost 2/3rds the price of kokatat and I find mine great. Remeber to go a size bigger to allow for layering as Keith and others have said
images-4.jpg