salmon trolling help?

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

salmon trolling help?

Post by Joshua »

With a lot of the ppb targets slowing down over winter I'd love to try my luck at targeting sambos on lures, I've fished them from the surf down the 90 mile but never had any luck except on baits from the yak.
I have a variety of lures from diving hard bodies to metal slugs and soft plastics.
I have tried trolling without success and would love some advice on how to maximise my chances as winter is a good time to spend a day covering some ground and keeping warm by keeping the heart rate up.

First question is what lure should I be using? Or is a combination with a few rods out the way to go?

How many lines do you run at a time? Is it worth having more than 2 out?

Where is the best depth to target? Should I have my lures close to the surface or down at 10m or somewhere inbetween?

How far behind the PA should the lure be? 5m? 100m?

I normally launch between mornington and Mt Martha and everywhere in between so if anyone has any thing to add area specific that would be helpful to!

Side question, how the hell do you get your PA wheels back in the scuppers when you land? Thing weighs a ton.

Thanks lads, Josh.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: salmon trolling help?

Post by shane »

Salmon will take most HB's on the troll as long as they are small enough, typically 5-10cm is a good range to target. They will take deep divers but shallow running are also very good, it depends where the school is in the water column but they will generally find any lure in the top 4m. If they are near the surface then trolling plastics and even metals will also do well. If actively surface feeding then a small stick bait or popper is a lot of fun but plastics matching the hatch are typically the best bet.

The areas you are fishing in should see you encountering schools of salmon more often than not. Stay in close along the reefs when trolling unless you see signs of a school working further out. When trolling/searching for salmon I run two lines cast out either side around 20-30m. It's a good idea to run 2 different lures, say a plastic and a diving HB.

Getting the scupper cart inserted into a PA is pretty easy. Just roll it on its side and insert then roll back onto the wheels. I normally avoid doing it over rough rocky areas but you don't need to be too precious about rolling it on its side.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

One more question while on the topic of salmon. If you are keeping them for bait and intend freezing. Do you bleed and gut straightaway as you would if you are going to eat them. Or just bung them in the freezer as is without gutting and bleeding?

I guess same question applies to other bait species.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I make a point of not bleeding or gutting anything destined for bait but I have no idea if that is the best strategy.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

laneends wrote:One more question while on the topic of salmon. If you are keeping them for bait and intend freezing. Do you bleed and gut straightaway as you would if you are going to eat them. Or just bung them in the freezer as is without gutting and bleeding?

I guess same question applies to other bait species.
Salmon don't freeze as well as some other fish, the flesh tends to flake apart when defrosted and needs the skin to hold it on. If using as shark/snapper bait etc I try to keep the blood in them and freeze the fish whole. You want as much blood and oil kept in the flesh as possible. I used to try filleting and cutting into portions before freezing but didn't find the results as good as cutting up a whole slightly defrosted fish. For gummies/sharks I usually use them as cutlet baits anyway so leaving the fish whole and then slicing steaks as needed works best for me.
0408 565 763
mazman
Lord of the fish
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher and 2015 Hobie Outback

Post by mazman »

4liters wrote:I make a point of not bleeding or gutting anything destined for bait but I have no idea if that is the best strategy.
I'm the same, pretty sure we have the same or similar logic on the idea too. Something along the lines of keeping more oils/blood and other attractants in the fish until it hits the water as a bait.
Facebook page: Hawkesy Fishing
Youtube: Hawkesy Fishing
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Only troll if you can't see the school. If you can see fish stop trolling. Hang off the school and cast to it.

To find salmon, stay alert for birds working, ripples on the surface, leaping fish, flashes of colour as they roll in the water and, most important, large patches of darker colour https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/724 ... School.jpg.

From a beach, the secret is much the same. Keep moving until you find a school and when they're on the move stay with them:
Individuals in waves https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/724 ... 0waves.jpg
Lots travelling past the breakers (the entire dark wave plus about as much again) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/724 ... 0water.jpg

Seals and dolphins can be a sign there is a school somewhere in the area. One of fishing's great pleasures is to see a pod of dolphins mount an ambush that pushes the school of salmon close for you.

Lures - Salmon are less than fussy. I suggest using anything that casts well. Off the beach is going to depend on distance required. From a kayak, a 10-15g chrome slice is as good as any but choice will depend on your rod/reel and line combination being suitable to toss it.

I don't use HB often so have no valid comment but on your metal lure, change the treble to strong single. With thousands of fish experience I can say a good single will land a higher percentage of salmon (or tailor) than a treble. A single is far safer - think about one point in a flapping fish and another in a finger:( 3X strong hooks don't do the following when you tie onto a big one in rough conditions https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/724 ... edHook.JPG

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Hi Josh, the best way as Shane says is just to roll PA on its side, that's what l do to, but not on rocks, just remember that the gear on top will slide off.

Seeing that we fish the same area, just PM me to catch up for a fish, or post up a trip.
l use 2 rods, any more and you spend too much time winding the others in when you hook up, [can get very messy] :shock: mostly l run HBs, just berkely frenzys or shads, nice and cheap, but will be trying others that l have just got. Colors, well who knows :? but my favorites are red head white[snapper love them],any silver pilchard natural color, but different things work too,eg, was running a red head white, silver pilchard,and just trialing a fresh water perch pattern when l saw surface boils, and the perch pattern hooked into a 5kg sambo, go figure :o.
l also would keep a rod loaded up with a metal slug or squid jig or sp in the back to cast at school fish.
this area also dishes up snapper, mackerel, snook, pike, couta,salmon,flattys and hopefully one day a kingy[long story] :( .
troll about any where from 10mts to 40mts, at depths of 4mts to sub surface, just mix it up and try different things.

cheers Westy :thumbsup:
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

Thankyou for all the indepth replies lads, it's a great help. I'll be taking it all on board and getting out there as soon as the weather/wife allows!
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body