Need help on first kayak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
vipboy24
kayak: Scorpio terrapinxl

Need help on first kayak

Post by vipboy24 »

Hi, my name is kenny, I'm going to get my first kayak by this week, hopefully I can get some helps on couples of things.
I'm going to get a Scorpio Terrapin XL, Is it good for river, lake, estuary fishing and bay fishing?
I got a Nissan xtrail with a rack on top look like this

Can I just simply buy some robes and tie the kayak on top of it or do I have to buy other mount?
What size anchor should I use and can you recommended for me any good pfd, I'm about 70kg and 1m8 tall
Thanks a lot for any help
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Need help on first kayak

Post by laneends »

Tims got one of those.

It will cover your requirements safely, They are not the lightest or sleekest of kayaks but for the money they do the job.

cam strap downs (available from bunnings or auto stores) are better. Ropes tend to shift. ratchets tie downs can be used but be wary of over tightening. Given your bars are close together put ties to front and back to stop it trying to rock back and forward and potential also twisting on roof.

You can load upside down with some padding on bars. Alternatively buy some kayak cradles or make up a couple of pvc rails and load upright.

Wipe down before loading to minimize salt water and sand dumping on your roof and rusting out your car
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

Welcome to the forum.
I have no idea about that kayak but best advice would be not to rush the decision. If you can get your bum in the seat of a few different kayaks and paddle about to see how they feels before parting with you hard earned dollars. A starting place to look for an all-round kayak would be around 12-13'. A rudder will help your direction control on windy days.

Avoid ratchet tie downs. They will put too much pressure on your kayak. As Keith suggests, cam straps are a bettger option than ropes. I use Kanulocks which have locks and cut resistant straps but there are less many less expensive cam straps. I can't recommend any but suggest you may need to have a close look at buckle construction to make sure they don;t flay apart during use. Suitable straps probably need to conform to Australian Standards but I have no idea what the standard is for carrying kayaks on racks in Vic. Vicroads may be able to help?

Hobie told me the rubber on my Whispbars would stop my kayak sliding about. It didn't and I spent 200km feeling tense while driving at 80kph after collecting it. Kayak cradles hold it very snugly.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

The Gripwell straps do a good job and have a soft cover over the buckle. You'll find them elsewhere with different branding but are good value from Bunnings. They are a little more substantial than the generics you get with carrier kits etc. Different lengths available
Attachments
strap.JPG
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Dont skimp on strap length, cam straps will needs to double over as there is no hook
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Steve_R wrote:Welcome to the forum.
I have no idea about that kayak but best advice would be not to rush the decision. If you can get your bum in the seat of a few different kayaks and paddle about to see how they feels before parting with you hard earned dollars. A starting place to look for an all-round kayak would be around 12-13'. A rudder will help your direction control on windy days.
Like Steve I believe you should try a few different yaks before committing to buy - this of cause is hard if you are new to kayaking as you wont all ready have much idea on what will work best for you
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Hi Kenny, i have a Terrapin XL and am happy with it. after my first trip in it i was addicted, as Keith mentioned, its not as sleek as a Prowler or as well designed as the hobies but it gets me on the water comfortably. i have done about 10 trips or so in it in the bays (not on rough days, i dont have the stomach for the bumps and swell :oops: ) it will be fine for rivers, estuaries and bays as long as its safe conditions. as long as you know its limitations it will be fine. if i had my time again i probably wouldve saved a little more for something like an Ocean Kayaks Prowler.

i have rhino racks with the rubber strip across the top and have just started tying my kayak the right way up on the racks to stop the salt water that gets inside the kayak from leaking on my roof the whole way home. ive cut two lengths of 50mm PVC pipe at about 2mtr or so long to sit under the kayak in the grooves. i drove 2 hrs each way to grantville and back, even doing 110km/h it seemed sturdy. if you have any questions about the terrapin dont be afraid to ask, i think i might be the only person on vyak that has one?

the guys on here always give good advice, and this advice can definitely save some headaches, good luck with whatever you buy as long as its a kayak :thumbsup:
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

You could probably get a better kayak that'll cost less than the Terrapin if you're happy to go second hand. You might get a sounder and all the other stuff with it too. It's worth having a think about anyway.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

In addition to the yak also leave plenty of room in the budget for a good pfd and all the other required safety gear legally required. You can add things like sounder, gear etc as you go along.
0408 565 763
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:You could probably get a better kayak that'll cost less than the Terrapin if you're happy to go second hand. You might get a sounder and all the other stuff with it too. It's worth having a think about anyway.

like this one that I just happened to see somewhere ---- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22461
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657