Need help on first kayak

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Need help on first kayak

Post by 4liters »

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:You could probably get a better kayak that'll cost less than the Terrapin if you're happy to go second hand. You might get a sounder and all the other stuff with it too. It's worth having a think about anyway.

like this one that I just happened to see somewhere ---- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22461
shameless :lol:

Did you get my SMS about the ss rod holder mount?
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

According to Fakebook posts.... Think vipboy has the kayak already, gift from his gf......
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
vipboy24
kayak: Scorpio terrapinxl

Post by vipboy24 »

Tim399 wrote:Hi Kenny, i have a Terrapin XL and am happy with it. after my first trip in it i was addicted, as Keith mentioned, its not as sleek as a Prowler or as well designed as the hobies but it gets me on the water comfortably. i have done about 10 trips or so in it in the bays (not on rough days, i dont have the stomach for the bumps and swell :oops: ) it will be fine for rivers, estuaries and bays as long as its safe conditions. as long as you know its limitations it will be fine. if i had my time again i probably wouldve saved a little more for something like an Ocean Kayaks Prowler.

i have rhino racks with the rubber strip across the top and have just started tying my kayak the right way up on the racks to stop the salt water that gets inside the kayak from leaking on my roof the whole way home. ive cut two lengths of 50mm PVC pipe at about 2mtr or so long to sit under the kayak in the grooves. i drove 2 hrs each way to grantville and back, even doing 110km/h it seemed sturdy. if you have any questions about the terrapin dont be afraid to ask, i think i might be the only person on vyak that has one?

the guys on here always give good advice, and this advice can definitely save some headaches, good luck with whatever you buy as long as its a kayak :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot for that, I've purchased one already from C kayak and will collect it on sat. Now I just need to take a look at how other rigs their kayak and learn :)
The guy from the Shop said my rack should do the job well and recommend my a strap to tie it as well as he told me to get some pool noodle to cover the rack to help the kayak from moving around when travelling. Can't wait to get on water with it but I have to wait till everything is sort out :)
Thanks for all of your helps every one
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

vipboy24 wrote:
Tim399 wrote:Hi Kenny, i have a Terrapin XL and am happy with it. after my first trip in it i was addicted, as Keith mentioned, its not as sleek as a Prowler or as well designed as the hobies but it gets me on the water comfortably. i have done about 10 trips or so in it in the bays (not on rough days, i dont have the stomach for the bumps and swell :oops: ) it will be fine for rivers, estuaries and bays as long as its safe conditions. as long as you know its limitations it will be fine. if i had my time again i probably wouldve saved a little more for something like an Ocean Kayaks Prowler.

i have rhino racks with the rubber strip across the top and have just started tying my kayak the right way up on the racks to stop the salt water that gets inside the kayak from leaking on my roof the whole way home. ive cut two lengths of 50mm PVC pipe at about 2mtr or so long to sit under the kayak in the grooves. i drove 2 hrs each way to grantville and back, even doing 110km/h it seemed sturdy. if you have any questions about the terrapin dont be afraid to ask, i think i might be the only person on vyak that has one?

the guys on here always give good advice, and this advice can definitely save some headaches, good luck with whatever you buy as long as its a kayak :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot for that, I've purchased one already from C kayak and will collect it on sat. Now I just need to take a look at how other rigs their kayak and learn :)
The guy from the Shop said my rack should do the job well and recommend my a strap to tie it as well as he told me to get some pool noodle to cover the rack to help the kayak from moving around when travelling. Can't wait to get on water with it but I have to wait till everything is sort out :)
Thanks for all of your helps every one

No worries, i might see you there on sat, a mate of mine just ordered a terrapin xl as well this week and we're picking it up sat morning :up: we will be in a white ford transit, so if you see us, say gday
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

cheaterparts wrote:
4liters wrote:You could probably get a better kayak that'll cost less than the Terrapin if you're happy to go second hand. You might get a sounder and all the other stuff with it too. It's worth having a think about anyway.

like this one that I just happened to see somewhere ---- http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22461
jots of mojo goes with that yak :thumbsup: