2015 Hobie Outback - Tight turning handle

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
sputnik
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2015 Hobie Outback

2015 Hobie Outback - Tight turning handle

Post by sputnik »

Hi guys,

When out on the water i notice that when i try turn the kayak it is extremely tight and takes a lot of effort to turn the rudder. I do have an oversized sail rudder although i went back to the factory one and still the same issue. I have attempted to loosen the cable as well as lubricate the string a bit but either way it still happens. Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any fixes?
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Re: 2015 Hobie Outback - Tight turning handle

Post by mingle »

Make sure that the rudder is firmly cleated down and locked into place.

If it's not locked into place it tends to trail behind the yak, which makes it very hard to turn against. Could be that your up/down lines are loose...?

Is it's still stiff while at rest it could be that the cable is twisted inside the hull, or caught against something (I had this happen with my A.I.)

If in doubt, take it back to the Hobie dealer and they'll help you out.

Cheers,

Mike.
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

It is also normal for it to be harder on a hot sunny day as the yak seems to grow or something.

My money is on a line twist or jam in the hull though
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

If it's 2015, take it back to where you bought it, and they should be able to help you out.

The oversized rudder shouldn't mater, I have the same yak and same rudder and no issues
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
vikodin
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

dude put your oversize rudder back on and chuck the little one in the shed or bin haha

take the yak to your nearest hobie dealer and get them to show you how to adjust it all properly
sputnik

Post by sputnik »

Thanks for the replies. i have noticed that the cords within do cross. They arent tangled or anything they simply cross over. I thought this is how its actually meant to be installed. Plus on a hot day its real bad, to the point where the nylon cord actually eats into the plastic tubing. I bought it from SLH so might need to take it back.
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Post by Hammertime »

sputnik wrote:Thanks for the replies. i have noticed that the cords within do cross. They arent tangled or anything they simply cross over. I thought this is how its actually meant to be installed. Plus on a hot day its real bad, to the point where the nylon cord actually eats into the plastic tubing. I bought it from SLH so might need to take it back.

yeah man, if you pay the money from a authorized dealer definitely take it back, if its an easy fix, sometimes easier to diy than loading it up and taking it back, but if not, like this one, the dealers will sort you out....
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
sputnik

Post by sputnik »

Just gotta find the time to take it back. When i do ill post their solution to the issue.