Life jacket advice

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
nebben838
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback (seagrass green)

Life jacket advice

Post by nebben838 »

Hey,

I'm looking for a life jacket so I'm curious what some people are using. I want someeting that's comfortable for paddling and also fishing. Some of the fishing ones look pretty bulky. I did see a couple i liked, the ultra George PFD and the ultra sportfish but again the sportfish is a bit bulky. Any advice would be great.
Gav
Apprentice
kayak: hobie pro angler 12 owner now 2013 modle

Re: Life jacket advice

Post by Gav »

i brougth mine throw hobie gelong zip up front with pockets very roomy and fits well . Gav
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

They all have a certain amount of bulk to them unless you get a manual inflation one.
Having said that the Ultra trek are quite compact, my stolquist was pretty comfortable sitting back on the hobie with the high back foam buut the pockets on the front were bulky.
Love my current one, the Mocke Racer, super comfortable and not too bulky.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

The legislation as you probably know requires a pfd 1,2 or 3 . I decided to go for an inflatable PFD1 because it is a life jacket that is so comfortable that I often forget that I am wearing it. Pfd 2s and 3s can be comfortable but they are only bouancy vests and they often are more expensive.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
nebben838
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie outback (seagrass green)

Post by nebben838 »

Thanks for the advice. I went the ultra George as its not very bulky and felt pretty comfortable and it's a lvl50 PFD
Rodt68
Apprentice
kayak: Crusader 2 (Soon when I pick it up)

Post by Rodt68 »

Ben i hope you don't mind me jumping on to the end of your post (if so let me know and i will start another) but i was wondering if i could get some advice from all in regards to PFDs.

As some of you may have read in the G'Day section i have managed to purchase my first kayak and have taken on board the safety warnings etc so my thoughts have been heading towards purchasing PFDs. However this has opened up an amazing amount of info that i am now more confused :wtf: than i was before i started the researching. Can anyone point me to a site / page that has all PFD info in an easy to understand format or if nothing really exists be able to give some help. :up: I should also add that i am a big guy (125kg) so no need to school me on ones that are for kids.

Thanks in advance

Rod
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Rodt68 wrote: Can anyone point me to a site / page that has all PFD info in an easy to understand format or if nothing really exists be able to give some help. :up: I should also add that i am a big guy (125kg) so no need to school me on ones that are for kids.

Thanks in advance

Rod
Rod from my personal experience I would go to a place that has a good selection of PFD's and try them on in your weight rating for comfort and to see if they'll interfere with your kayaking. Some breathe better than others also.
Some blokes go for Self inflating, some kayaking specific, some just basic that get the job done, it's really up to each person's preference.
John 3.16/17