BUYING A KAYAK

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Re: BUYING A KAYAK

Post by Wind Waker »

There is no comparison between new and old hobies.

I wouldn't buy one of the older ones after you have sat in the seat of a new hobie. High. Dry. Lumbar support. Hight adjustment and tilt. There is no going back.

There is no reason to roll the yak on its side to fit the wheels UNLESS its a PA12 or PA14. Maverick has a video somewhere on how to do it and its easy to do. Even easier with two.

Rayso makes a good point about a tandem island but the $$ are up there as is the fun ;)

Do you guys caravan as well? Or tow anything else as that should be considered. Getting a tandem on and off a car roof with two people is easier generally then a single by yourself.

A trailer is super easy but if you caravan or travel alot then it may not be an option or may limit where you can go.

I take two on the roof. I'm about to get a trailer. Why? So i can take my single for a fish behind my work ute then park it at work during the day. Also so I can prepack and be ready to launch for those 4am winter trout days. We normally tow a van so towing a trailer as well is not an option. We put yaks on the roof. Yak gear in the back of the car 4wd in crates. Two of us unload then each setup our own. Then help each other to the water and launch. Whole process takes about 15 minutes. Pack up takes about 25 min.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Hvalross wrote:
Lifting a single or a tandem, with or without aids is for the young and older folks that have good backs, strong arms and legs, and a very long car to remain legal.
Oh! and you will need a strong roof and a very strong racking system.
This isn't entirely true. My little hatchback is less than 4m long but I can legally carry my 4.5m rack on the roof. There is a thread about it somewhere but from memory you can have 1.2m or half your wheelbase of overhang as long as you use safety flags. Check the thread because I may not have got the details 100% correct. It's worth knowing though because as others have said trailers limit you in a lot of situations and are an additional expense. Car roofs are generally strong enough, you'll be able to find the weight rating online if you google your model. The cheapest roof I found had a 75kg weight rating, if your yak is more than that you won't be getting it up on the roof anyway unless you are a power lifter.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

4liters wrote:
Hvalross wrote:
Lifting a single or a tandem, with or without aids is for the young and older folks that have good backs, strong arms and legs, and a very long car to remain legal.
Oh! and you will need a strong roof and a very strong racking system.
This isn't entirely true. My little hatchback is less than 4m long but I can legally carry my 4.5m rack on the roof. There is a thread about it somewhere but from memory you can have 1.2m or half your wheelbase of overhang as long as you use safety flags. Check the thread because I may not have got the details 100% correct. It's worth knowing though because as others have said trailers limit you in a lot of situations and are an additional expense. Car roofs are generally strong enough, you'll be able to find the weight rating online if you google your model. The cheapest roof I found had a 75kg weight rating, if your yak is more than that you won't be getting it up on the roof anyway unless you are a power lifter.
Yes there is a good thread on legal lengths and the distance from wheels to end of load overhang its well worth looking at, was just thinking in terms of a tandem...they tend to be a bit longer and so the overhang at the back MAY be an issue. Don't know how many have been pulled up and I suspect if it was being strictly enforced some may have difficulty with their setup. Saw a little Suzi with an ocean tandem on it parked in Fitzroy.....wish I had taken a snap it was a hoot!!

I have a Rav 4 and putting the PA 12 on top gave me goose bumps and a herniated foofy valve, the way it buckled and bent had me wishing I had kept my old Land Cruiser, it was an oldie and the roof must have been made out of steel plate it was so firm.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

hi guys, first of all, he is interested in fishing, what about the woman partner, l mean this nicely, as general woman don't fish or are willing to spend the amount of time and hours[4am starts etc] that men will generally do,in which case single kayaks are better.
dont rush in but spend some time trying out some options, hobie trial days[make sure its on the bay, and not some lake]fit in the wheels and pull the yak around.
try paddling some yaks capacity sports hire kayaks daily or weekly etc.
a lot to think about when your new, was a learning curve for me,if l could start over again, l would have hired a few times first, its not like sitting in a boat, with ease of a motor to get you there,and importantly get you back.
don't get me wrong, l love it, and the people here are the best :thumbsup:
FISHKEEN
kayak: None

Post by FISHKEEN »

Hi

Thank you to everyone's contributions. We have just bought an Outfitter. Ex demo 2015. Getting trailer etc ready and will picku p once we are ready. Guess no turning back now !?? As we can paddle and pedal, do people you tube for correct paddling techniques ? Someone mentioned that paddling helps if you have back aches, does it ?

So the question now, is where can we take the kayak to (after practicing in Lysterfield Lake) ?
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Post by choppers »

FISHKEEN wrote:Hi

Thank you to everyone's contributions. We have just bought an Outfitter. Ex demo 2015. Getting trailer etc ready and will picku p once we are ready. Guess no turning back now !?? As we can paddle and pedal, do people you tube for correct paddling techniques ? Someone mentioned that paddling helps if you have back aches, does it ?

So the question now, is where can we take the kayak to (after practicing in Lysterfield Lake) ?

Take it everywhere and anywhere!!!
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

FISHKEEN wrote: Someone mentioned that paddling helps if you have back aches, does it ?
Builds your core muscles if you are doing it right. Which always helps back pain. Odds are you will peddle 95% of the time.
take it anywhere just make sure local wind condition are very mild.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

FISHKEEN wrote:Hi

Congrats on the purchase, its not easy navigating the market to find what you want. As others have said, you will most likely peddle 95% of the time, but if you are interested in paddle/safety lessons I can help there if you want to go down that road. Feel free to pm if I can be of assistance.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

FISHKEEN wrote: Someone mentioned that paddling helps if you have back aches, does it ?
Congratulations on your new yak :up:

It doesn't necessarily help with back aches. If you have a bad back make sure your pelvis and back are well supported as too much twisting & flexing can actually cause issues with your disks and nerves in your back.
If your back is "just weak" then it can be beneficial. For core development things like pilates, physio, swimming, gym definitely work :)
Having a back operation 2 years ago with potentially another Op, I had to sell one of my paddle yaks due to the increased stress on my lower back.
I ended up buying an older PA14 and absolutely love it and it doesn't flare up my back.
John 3.16/17
Gav
Apprentice
kayak: hobie pro angler 12 owner now 2013 modle

Post by Gav »

Hi mate i brought a pro angler 12 15 mth ago i have had 3 minner strokes and back injures. Under doctors instructions they supjested i look at one. best thing i did i can walk ok now and have fun fishing i brought a trailer for mine to save lifting too much . Regards Gav