Couple of questions

Questions new members commonly ask e.g. Which kayak should I buy?
Jackofjr
Apprentice
kayak: Nil

Re: Couple of questions

Post by Jackofjr »

Thanks , I can secure it with a couple of cables and padlocks , that should be enought to stop the snatch and run theif, if someone really wants it they will probably take the Ute to .
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

I have been out at Blue Rock a few times , getting the hang of paddling.
When l bought it , l got a Ram Ball Fishing rod holder , there is not many flat places to mount the ball ,
The round hatch lid , seems like not a bad spot , any reason l shouldn't mount it there

Regards Jacko
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Post by Anthony »

I would try and mount the rod holders on the gunnels, I think it would just get in the way on the hatch lid. I haven't seen the odyssey up close but it looks like there would be room to mount a diamond base ram ball on gunnels in front of the mesh pockets.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

Jackofjr wrote: The round hatch lid , seems like not a bad spot , any reason l shouldn't mount it there

Regards Jacko
PITA if you want to open the hatch. With the ram rod holders, you have ball, extender and holder. Thats probably going to be annoying. Will you be trolling ? The paddle stroke and rod will clash if you don't chose carefully. If you are talking about the odyssey have a look at this.
oahob.jpg
Use the forward mount options to avoid trolled rods interfering with your paddle strokes. Sit the Yak on the lawn and duct tape the holders in position then sit and paddle to see what works. Regardless of what ball mount base you are using 3 out of 4 screws will do the job if that's all you can use.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

Thanks , l will play with it some more , l really don't know what sort of fishing , l will be doing or how much .

Jacko
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Ditch the ball mount and use a couple of berkley quick sets mounted in the forward position each side as in Wokkas photo. You can make homemade extensions to raise them above your legs so butts dont foul. Quick sets allow you to pull rod straight up and out of holder without having to slide them out the front, hence suit excessive forward mounting.
As per following
Attachments
P1000295.JPG
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

The rectangle base of the Berkley mount look like they might better . The Ram mount base is 60mm diameter, really to wide for all but the 2 rear places in that pic ,
Might go have a look in BCF today

Jacko
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

OK, the ram rectangle base is 55 on it's short edge, the berkley bases are about 50 on the short edge.

Ram also make a space saver mount...I'm assuming you have the C size ball.

http://macleanoutdoors.net.au/accessori ... aver-mount

or this is available in a C size. I have one on my Revo up front where it is tight. It can take plenty of the load as the pulley from my sail furler is connected to the base (this was mentioned by AP-M earlier)

http://macleanoutdoors.net.au/accessori ... -composite

Gear Trac might also be an option Ram make bases to fit the tracks...but now things are getting complicated, and expensive.

http://macleanoutdoors.net.au/accessori ... k-geartrac
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
Jackofjr
Apprentice

Post by Jackofjr »

Thanks wokka , yep it's the " C " - 1.5" ball , l see there a few different Ram Balls that would be ok .
I have quite a few different Ram Mounts that l use on my motorbike and 4x4 , they are all the smaller ball

I'm familiar Ram Mounts , still might look at a Berkley , l will need a second one any way

Jacko
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

The problem you have with a paddle yak is having to mount forward to avoid paddle yet being able to still get rod out of holder